c3 picasso fuel filter change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dwaindibley
New User

c3 picasso fuel filter change

Post by dwaindibley »

hi all i'll be changing the fuel filter on my 2010 c3 pic soon during its service i've heard they can be a bit of a pain to start afterwards i've heard there is a bleed screw on the filter is this true ? also is there anywhere else i can bleed the system from and also any tips would be great
cheers
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: c3 picasso fuel filter change

Post by RichardW »

What engine? 1.6 HDi probably....

I've changed one on a C4 Picasso - there's no bleed screw as such. I think Lighty sometimes removes the return fuel line to make it a bit easier to fill the filter. Just keep pumping the primer till you stop hearing the air re-entering the fuel tank. Takes a while....

Here's the write up I did after changing mine:

Fuel filter

Do this at the same time as the air filter, as you need to remove the pipes to the air filter anyway! The filter comes as a complete unit (nearly - see below!), and is best changed every other service with the air filter. If it starts to get clogged it can cause running problems and limp mode.

1. With the air filter lid removed, unclip the top fuel pipe - press in the white bit whilst pulling it off the stub.
2. Remove the second, lower, fuel pipe - this is on the back under the first pipe, and barely visible - you only need to press in the side of the clip you can feel, but it's awkward and
trying!
3. Press in the clip on the left of the filter and wiggle it up, tilt it forwards a bit and disconnect the top electrical connector - you need to lift up the small tab under the connector to release it.
4. Rotate the filter back the other way and unplug the other connector on the bottom (just goes into a blank port ) and the drain tube.
5. On the back of the filter there is heater unit, and this must be transferred across to the new filter. There is a clip under the top spigot that you need to lift, whilst levering the unit across the filter to release the spigot on the end, and holding the filter! I had to put it in the vice as a third hand, and lift the clip with a pair of gas pliers.
6. Clip the heater into place on the new filter, and then refit to the car, remembering to refit the connector and hose on the bottom! Reconnect the fuel pipes (just push on till they click).
7. Prime the filter - just squeeze the bulb on top of the engine a lot. They can apparently be difficult to bleed so I did a bit tlll it stopped gurgling in the tank, refitted the air piping, then did some more, waited a bit and did some more. Re-start the engine. If it won't, then pump more till it does!
Richard W