2.5td XM, fuel leak! Bosch pump!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lankytim
My Cars:

2.5td XM, fuel leak! Bosch pump!

Post by lankytim »

Hi all,

I've been running my 2.5 very happily on veg oil for the past few months but yesterday I noticed it was leaving a small patch of fuel under the drivers side front of the car. I can't see any obvious leaks but I think it may be coming from the input shaft of the high pressure fuel pump. It still starts and drives great so i'm hoping I wont have to change it, although I do have 3 spares just in case!

As far as I know the pump has done 191k so i'm guessing was getting quite tired anyway, looks like the veg oil is starting to finish it off.

Questions.... Is it easy to swap the input seal without removing the pump?, are pumps easy to rebuild? Where can I buy parts? Is there a "veg friendly" seal to be had?

I'm still pretty new to diesels, especially the older sort so I don't know how to do the injector pump timing and stuff like that.

Any advice?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: 2.5td XM, fuel leak! Bosch pump!

Post by lexi »

You should be able to buy Viton seals for the pump. Even a standard seal will last 20k with veg oil before leaking.
Get on a Veg forum...........not the allotment type :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Looking more closely I think it might not be the pump leaking after all! I recently did an oil and filter change but managed to spill some down the O/S inner wing and chassis leg. I think it may be the fresh oil running out of the chassis leg and onto the ground. It's a clear gold liquid but doesn't seem to taste of veg oil! (and before anybody says, no its not dog wee)
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

No but it could be cat wee! Yuk! :rofl2: :shock: :eek1:
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The fuel lines are the weak spot.

Mine have failed both on the TANK-FILTER and FILTER-PUMP lines (they are bonded together and a PITA so i've ripped that section out after the 2nd leak on it).

Then the sections to the bulkhead mounted metal pipes are weak. They flex a lot and get very hot from the heat form the engine but then in cold winters cool back down to sub 0 temps so can go through a whole range of 100'c in one sitting easily enough.

The bulk head ones are a pain and mine are currently head on with tie-wraps.

I've used some goodyear piping but is smaller bore than that of the standard stuff.

I think its about 13mm but never checked myself.

I've left the cam cover section there as that will be a pig to replace due to the angles on it.

Ideally in a few years i think the only option will be getting a set of silicone hoses made up as the pipes are NFP with citroen :(

The best way to find the leak Tim is to pop to halfrauds or somewhere and get a large Y piece connector.

Put it on both pipes at the tank end. Then connect it up to a fut pump and apply pressure. The leak will then show itself :D
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Ok,

The leak is back again but now a bit worse! On standing the fluid seems to be coming from the rear of the front subframe and after another taste I think it IS veg oil after all!

Also the bottom of the sump and the side of the block on the pulley end is wet with veg oil.... I think its deffo the diesel injector pump nose seal that's leaking. Anybody now where I can get one? Is it easy to fit and reset the timing?

Help!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

IIRC you dont need to worry about timing but just lock the all the pulleys in place and put it all back as it is.

It may be better to get a vitron seal kit and refurb one off one of your breakers and refurb it and then it will make your job much easier :)

John on clubxm would know more about the 2.5td timing setup though as i dont think its as simple as the HDi but isnt as precise as the XUD's.
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

The HDI pumps don't need to be timed up but the older ones deffo need to be. I'll try to contact that guy on club XM but I don't think I have the experience to rebuild a pump.
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Guess what? I got the suspension on high to see if I could spot the leak and found the passenger front return pipe from the strut was perished and weeping! I cut the end off and reattached it. I'm sure that would explain some of the tell tale spotting on the drive. The weep of veg oil is still on the sump though...
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Hi all,

I've had a closer look and the leak seems to be coming from the back of the pump, not the pulley seal. I still can't see exactly where but there is a steady drip-drip onto the engine block behind the pump which is running down and onto the ground via the sump. Is there a seal there which can be replaced? I'm not getting much luck trawling google and the usual forums.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Pipes :)

The supply and return pipes take a good few bends around that area and are easily the best culprits for leaks in and out of the system :)
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

I've had a good look art the pipes and they seen to be OK, although I never seen to be able to manage more than 5 minutes of tinkering before I get mythered by the kids! I'll have to take some time to properly inspect it!
Last edited by lankytim on 07 Apr 2014, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I looked over mine for ages but then when I pressurised them it showed up what was happening :)

Best to do it after you've been for a drive as it will make the veg warmer and help show the leak up.
Put a Y piece onto both pipes from the tank sender and apply air pressure with a foot pump or air line upto about 20psi and a leak will show up :)
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Good news! I've found the leak.

I have a spare pump from a scrapper that I used to inspect/take to bits/ruin and found this likely culprit.

Sure enough, after moving all the pipework and wiring out the way I spotted the drip-drip of a fuel leak. Unfortunately the seal that needs changing is completely inaccessible without removing the pump. Bah!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Good work Tim!

Have you being using veg long? It may be worth upgrading the seals to the better type that cope better with veg?