Xantia Mk1 Gearbox/Diff noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

Xantia Mk1 Gearbox/Diff noise

Post by xantom »

Hi. I have only one Xantia left now apart from the spares hulk. My white machine has been making ever increasing groaning related to wheel speed. I confirmed the left drive shaft innner joint at the diff was very worn and suspected that, especially as some knocking was starting to appear too. I have recently replaced the bearing on the left wheel. I replaced the left drive shaft and the groaning altered a bit but is not significantly reduced. If I do a left turn and take load away from the left wheel the groaning disappears. I suspect the bearing at the diff on the left side. Is this a rational conclusion? If the bearings need replaced does anyone know what designation they have. I asked Citroen and they want to charge me over £80 each (I would change both of course) and a bearing manufacturer needed to know the specification of the bearing before he could say whether he could supply it. Anyone just happen to know such arcane info? I don't want to take the diff off yet to find out as I'm still using the car to get around in, even if it sounds a bit like a propeller aircraft in a dive. Thanks
Tom
1998 Xantia Mk2 1.9TD Saloon
1996 Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mk1
(Previously Old Guy's)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia Mk1 Gearbox/Diff noise

Post by RichardW »

I would check the wheel bearing on the other side - the only Xantia I have had with a wheel bearing problem ( a MK1 TD coincidentally) had the same symptoms - ie went quite on LH bends, leading me to conclude that it was the LH bearing, which is normal for most cars, but in fact the RH bearing was away!

If it is the diff bearing, then here's the info from service.citroen:

3125 18

02 DIFFERENTIAL BEARING
38 X 63 - 17
- XU AND BVM BE3

I would read this as 38mm id, 63mm od, 17mm thick. A search online suggest a taper roller bearing rather than a ball, no idea what is actually fitted! Seems an odd size too - which is typical of Citroen. Price should be <£90 the pair from Citroen, a lot cheaper aftermarket if you can find the right one!

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT
0000312518 DIFFER BEARING 36.13 GBP 43.36 GBP
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I too would suggest the wheel bearing, they don't all comply with the normal diagnosis.

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

That's a wheel bearing. The diff gave up on RUNN - a 1.9TD. You'd really know if it was the diff, believe me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

Post by xantom »

Thanks guys. Definitely going to check the offside wheel bearing before I do anything more drastic. Just need a little time to myself to fit it in.
Tom
(Previously Old Guy's)
xantom

Post by xantom »

Changed the right hand bearing today. All hell to get the big circlip out of the hub, but that wasn't really a surprise. The problem is cured and I love my car again. Still, I would have put money on the noise originating from the centre or the left hand bearing. Completely baffles me how the right hand bearing causes noises elsewhere. Thanks guys for the good steer.
Tom
(Previously Old Guy's)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You can never tell with cars. Well done anyway.