Lucas rotodiesel fuel not entering pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Lucas rotodiesel fuel not entering pump

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've just fitted a Lucas Rotodiesel pump from another 2.1TD to my 605 to replace the faulty Bosch one.

I went to prime it using a proper priming bulb but fuel isn't getting into the pump, almost as if its coming up to a stop. I removed the stop solenoid next to the intake and see that fuel is getting into that little chamber. If I remove the plunger and spring and refit the solenoid, the fuel still comes up to a stop. I've also removed the return outlet bolt just in case there was a blockage in the metal pipe, nothing is coming through.

Is there something I'm missing?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: Lucas rotodiesel fuel not entering pump

Post by sparksie »

Hi Kev

Conventional wisdom states that Bosch and Lucas injector pumps are not interchangeable.
The only way to do it is as a complete set of pipes and injectors, because the pressure required to open the injectors is different.
I can't remember which is higher, but suspect it's probably the Bosch, so the Lucas pump is probably not pushing hard enough to overcome the springs in the Bosch injectors and, even if it is, the fuelling will be wrong and it will run very poorly, if at all!
Sorry
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Guys on here have been changing pumps between those engines fairly regular.
Are they changing the injectors along with them? ? Maybe they were.
Crack pressures and metering are critical I suppose.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Well, I suppose there are exceptions to every rule.
I haven't heard of a successful swap that didn't include pump, pipes (due to different internal diameter) and injectors, though admittedly most of my experience relates to Fords of various vintages.
Speaking personally, I can't understand why anybody'd do the swap that way. Every swap I've ever heard of, or been asked to attempt has been to ditch the Lucas and replace it with Bosch. Mostly the attraction was self bleeding, but generally the Bosch pumps seem to stay in calibration better too!
Still, I suppose we are talking about Citroen fans here, so idiosyncratic and unreliable are probably seen as desirable!
I prefer things that stay fixed after I fix them!
To each his own, I guess.
Dredging my memory I can't seem to come up with the correct bleeding procedure for the Lucas, though I've dealt with plenty of them in the dim and distant! I have some idea there were two bleed screws (top and bottom?), but I may be remembering something else entirely!
I'll see can I dig something out of my Haynes library, if I can get a minute to myself.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Ah no.
I was in the right place to dig through my Haynes manuals today and I forgot all about it, until I mentioned Haynes in a response on another thread!
Sorry guys.
I'll try and remember next time, though I'm not there every day.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD