Citroen ZX water leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Citroen ZX water leak

Post by oscarloco »

I own a '94 ZX Volcane 2.0 and it has developed a water leak by the pulleys. My guess is a faulty water pump. Does anybody know how can I be sure? And if it is the water pump, how hard is to replace it? What is the procedure?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You can be pretty sure it's the water pump - if leaks are seen here. This is the way the pump tells you it needs replacement - ASAP !
The work is indeed VERY similar to replacing the cambelt - as this has to be removed to gain access to the pump.
I'd definately go for a complete job - replacing the cambelt idler/tensioner wheels/pulleys & the belt.
This ensures peace in mind for the next 40K miles or so - and the best insurance against fatal engine breakdowns.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Thanks. By the way, can you describe in detail the complete procedure to replace the pump?
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

drain the coolant, undo the bolts, take off , clean the gasket off, place new gasket and pump on, tighten the bolts! refill coolant!!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you want a fairly good step by step instruction :
Do your self a BIG favour : go buy the Haynes ZX manual covering your model.
Although the Haynes is not well reputed among experienced DIY'ers - it's by far the best manuals you get for starters as car DIY'er.
My bet is that pretty much the whole gang here started their car DIY with a Haynes - and then moved on to more specific information - as experience & demands was growing.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Thanks for the help.