Xantia 110bhp HDI takeover Qns

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Xantia 110bhp HDI takeover Qns

Post by Northern_Mike »

Sounds like a knackered accumulator John. New one about £20.... not hard to do really.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Yes I thought perhaps so Mike; the central front one, probably back one as well.
They were changed 'about three years ago' can't see a date on them though. I'll get round to it after essentials.

I think I'm going to like driving the hdi as my main transport.

Just ordered a key with transponder, online, http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
by uploading a photo of my sole (worn) key. £19 + £2 1st class postage, signed for. I'll run it on the Lexia when I get a session and have the IMM code (I think it's called).

Q. I wonder if I can re-code an old key fob- plip circuit board I have as well, to complete the key. Seems to be a difference of opinion on that question.

Q. I'm not happy with the 'weight' the accelerator pump puts on the pedal, especially considering report above of others being light: do they vary, is it an indication of deterioration of pressure pump?

Sent from a mobile transmitter.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's only connected to an electronic throttle position sensor - the pump is electronically controlled by the ECU. So heavy pedal doesn't indicate the pump is at fault 8-)
Richard W
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Ah! I have no guide as if yet. I had heard of low and high pressure pumps...

So my concern is over the spring weight of throttle position sensor. :-)

John Plum
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Your low pressure pump is the in-tank pump, or "lift pump" I believe they used to be known as. It sends fuel to the high-pressure pump on the engine, which, as it's name states, ups the pressure to between 250 and 400 bar before it's injected. The throttle cable is not directly attached to the pump, just the TPS assembly, so that might be stiff, or the spring might be stiff, or the cable might be stiff..
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Cheers Mike. I'll sort out the TPS.

John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Progress report:
--------
Soaking underlay in passenger footwell, ascribed to replacement windscreen refitted without dealing scuttle. Have cleaned up and sealed with black silicon. Seems to have stopped the water ingress. Carpet drying out.

Power is good. Reversing is hard after driving an auto, it wants to take off; have to slip the clutch a lot.

Lacking a manual for hdi, I'm wondering where the fuel filter is....

Definitely a metallic clicking on acceleration, possible exhaust manifold; seems to come from driver side though, so may be pulley-related. I did get a loud metallic squeak at idle appearing there yesterday, for the first time.

Rear wiper water jet, at first just a sprinkle, has died; shall investigate.

No cooling fans at all: under investigation, posted in separate recent thread.

That wd3 mastic had arrived through the post, for sealing tailgate; rear wiper remains content to work, following the spindle lubrication, so shall seal after I'm sure the boot lock is 100% reliable.

Spare key arrived, and works fine in doors and ignition, but will need to he programmed on Lexia.

Blower is working fine now, with new transistor board, and removing the bypass.

Last edited by John Plum on 26 Mar 2014, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
John Plum
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The fuel filter is on the front of the engine, under the engine cover. You MUST be careful when replacing the filter, as anything getting into the high pressure pump will help take it apart!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Ah I see the fuel filter now. OK shall take due care, cheers, it's the kind if advice that I need to help me move along quickly enough at takeover of a new kind of engine.

Peeped at aux belt, it's jumped 2 ribs off some if the pulleys, not the bottom pulley though which holds it captive. Not sure why, and it wasn't like that when I picked the car up 160 miles back.

John Plum
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

The fans rarely work even with a hot engine John.
The only way I can get them to start is to switch on the a/c and/or put the air to windscreen.. Hdi's run really cool and take ages to warm up in the winter.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As I said, be VERY careful when replacing the filter. Any dirt on the clean side will damage the high pressure pump.

At the bottom of the filter body is a small tap. Empty the body, and then (very carefully) release the pipes (they use a quick release catch). Then use a socket (I cannot remember the right size) to take the cap off (there are arrows to indicate the directions to tighten and loosen the cap) Make sure to use the right size socket as the cap is only plastic. Before taking the cap off take clean precautions. When you take the cap off you will find a 'wobbly' washer, that is used to apply spring pressure to the filter. Remove it and put it somewhere safe. Check that the new filter comes with a replacement 'O' ring seal, and then remove the old filter and (after checking how it fits) 'O' ring. Thoroughly and carefully clean out the filter body, fit the new filter and 'O' ring. Place the wobbly washer back on top of the new filter and re-fit the cap. Connect the pipes back up and tighten up the bleed tap. All being well, you have completed the fuel filter change.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Ref fans: I seem to have a problem though, as no fans come on with aircon on and, when apply 12v to relevant pin on relay to activate fans.
I posted this conundrum at:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=47933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks kindly Hellrazor

John Plum
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Do you have access to a Lexia system? I found that I could test the fans on Gracie within the Lexia, with both coming on low, and one running on high.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

@HellRazor this what I've just realised through further reading. Also, given that its HDI, with engine ECU taking over the operation of Bitron, I'm not so confident in some of the shorting and voltage supply tests I've come across.
For experience sake I think I'm going to do just a few more tests now I've got them noted, but count more on the Lexia.

John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

All in all, having had the car for a week, although there are problems to sort out of various kinds, progress on those has been fair.
The power seems about right for me, what I wanted.
The car will be good I think, worth looking after as my choice of steed.
It would perhaps have been nice to hunt high and low, with no immediate need, for the Xantia of my choice, money no limit... But that was not the case, and travel long distance to view before an eBay bid or after is painful.
So, I'm happy so far with the prospect before me.

I'll finish off the jobs I can do now, to tailgate sealing and do the seized rear height corrector linkages this coming week.
I'll reset the aux belt tomorrow, and look that area all over. Flush the radiator. Change fuel filter. Examine and clean the Abs sensors

I replaced a wing mirror: alternating some smaller jobs with larger jobs is a nice way to go.

Then go for a Lexia session

John Plum