Height corrector cradle overhaul- Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Height corrector cradle overhaul- Xantia

Post by isisalar »

Hi guys,
I've replaced both height corrector cradles recently due to excessive play in the shafts/bearings on the spring loaded bits causing them to become sticky. I got used ones and whereas the rear one was 'almost like new' to quote the indy who fitted them, the front one, although it seemed fine on the bench, when fitted also had a lot of play in the shaft/bearing. It was difficult to set the height correctly and there's now 4 fingers plus wheelarch gap, the ride is generally much improved, but is intermittently bad, it's not going to improve so needs to be sorted. I retained the old corrector assembly with a view to getting it re furbished, which on the face of it, would seem to a fairly simple job for an engineering workshop, once those springs are removed.
I managed to find a wonderful post by Jim for re furbishing the hydraulic side of things but very little about re furbishing the cradle, anyone done this?
Plastic bearings/bushes are obviously a weak point, would it be feasible to use ball races or bronze?
Exploded diagram would be nice.
I'm getting tantalizing glimpses of how good the ride can be which is making me determined to finally nail this. Next stop- diode mod, separate post.
Thanks
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Re: Height corrector cradle overhaul- Xantia

Post by electronmirror »

Paul,

In 'The how to' section of the forum is a useful write up on the height corrector problems. It covers exactly the problem you have found with yours i.e. excessive play in the pivots resulting in intermittent poor ride.

Also shows how the pivots have been replaced with M14 bolts suitably turned down on a lathe.

Here's the link http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=31296
Last edited by electronmirror on 19 Mar 2014, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (118,000miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

electronmirror wrote:Paul,

In 'The how to' section of the forum is a useful write up on the height corrector problems. It covers exactly the problem you have found with yours i.e. excessive play in the pivots resulting in intermittent poor ride.

Also shows how the pivots have been replaced with M12 bolts suitably turned down on a lathe.

Here's the link http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=31296
Bookmarked. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks for the response guys, I'd already had a good look at that thread. It's the turning down of the bolts that I was hoping to get a bit more info on, that and how are the springs dealt with.
The post showing the bolts in place says that after turning down they are tapered and tapped into place in the cradle. Is this tapped as in hammer in/interference fit, or tapped in as in cutting threads?
I'm guessing that the plastic bushes are bored out a bit so they're nice and round and the bolt is turned down to suit the bore. How much play should there be?
Is the problem likely to be with the shaft being worn/ loose or the plastic bush or both?
How are the original shafts fixed/removed?
Would a good clean up in a parts bath clean out the hydraulic bit to any extent?
Questions questions, not that simple but I'm sure it's do-able and something probably more necessary now Xantias are all quite old.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)