C5 Warning Light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SwissSPEC
My Cars:

C5 Warning Light

Post by SwissSPEC »

My C5 2litre HDI 110 Estate has now on 3 seperate occasions when starting up 1st thing in the morning displayed a STOP warning message along with the Red indicator which is next to the Coolant Temperature Guage. Normally switching the engine off & re-starting appears to clear the message, this morning though when i re-started it stayed on, so when i drove off the drive, the message & light then went out. I quickly checked the coolant level & tbh wasn't exactly sure whether it was low or not, i guess there is a level its supposed to be? I could see coolant down the hole, what type of coolant should this car have? If i try topping it up, i don't want to add the wrong type.
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 Warning Light

Post by myglaren »

Did you notice the temperature gauge?

I had a similar experience a year or so ago and the temperature would be an indicated max. Couldn't be as car was just started after sitting for 12 hours.
Was one of the temperature senders duff.

I always use the Citroen recommended Antigel coolant from the dealer, with Forte Cooling System Stop Leak added.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

I had this for a few weeks on my 2.2, got stop messages "coolant overheating", temp gauge dropping to zero, it was the coolant temp sensor on the right hand side of the engine. Replacement was about £9 on eBay, all messages stopped and gauge works as it should now.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

The guage hadn't moved from the far left even whent he msg was on for a minute or so. I wonder if its the sensor then? do they go a bit intermittent rather than just fail outright?
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Mine was intermittent for a couple of months before i replaced it. I was getting "coolant too hot" message when starting from cold and also gauge dropping to zero when engine hot. It would typically last for a few minutes and read correctly again.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

I'll keep an eye on it for the mo, it did it again today, however, as soon as i drove off the stop light & red warning light both went out at the same time. I currently park partway on a kerb, so i wonder if the fluid level is causing the light to come on? I'll double check the coolant level again.
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman