The road gods hate my girl at the mo..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Deb123

The road gods hate my girl at the mo..

Post by Deb123 »

Oh my where to start.. Ok i have a 54 plate Xsara Picasso Desire 2L HDI with 362504 miles on the clock i have had her from new and shes still full of beans.. However the road gods have not been nice to my girl in the last month..

On a recent trip to Northampton (from Hampshire) i hit a pot HOLE.. which according to the Garage when i got her home killed the Steering rack a Ball joint and a rod end.. £££..

She then was due her service with did all the usual things plus rear breaks and the pipes? to those.. £££

So i think home and clear.. OH no.. Sunday last the Coil spring goes front Drivers side.. Takes out the tyre (the entire inside wall) Thankgoodness i was going slow having just come off a Roundabout! I Dread to thin what might have happened on a motorway.. So tow truck (spectacle type) Turns up loads cars with a bit of faffing due to lack of hieght on drivers side.. get to garage unloads.. and takes out the Sump.. Grrrrr. lol

Well the break down folks paid for the sump.. i shelled out for the two springs and due to damage to one shock.. did both shocks.. Always in pairs!

However i now have the car back... and i have a rattle from the nearside front.. and a clunk from the offside front both halfway to Full lock and halfway back.. the steering is heavier than it was and i am at a complete loss as to which garage should have picked up the problem or worse if they might have caused or missed something.. Sigh.

Any ideas folks.. i have had my fill for 1 month..

Deb x
Last edited by Deb123 on 16 Mar 2014, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Northern_Mike

Re: The road gods hate my girl at the mo..

Post by Northern_Mike »

What a horrible month! Sorry to hear of your woes.

Sounds like either the strut top mounts have failed or the springs aren't seated properly. My Berlingo made a terrible rattle after we'd replaced a spring last year. It was the top mount - which we should really have replaced when we did the spring but didn't. The springs, I think, on the Picasso sit in cups. If they are not seated properly they can twist when you turn the wheel and make a knock noise.

Great mileage on yours though!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

45 Plate and 362,000 miles! WOW Thats some motor! :-D :shock:
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It may be older than thought. I would bet on a typo, and it being a 54 plate.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:It may be older than thought. I would bet on a typo, and it being a 54 plate.
Even so, Bertie is a 54 plate and that's got 95,000 on it..
Deb123

Post by Deb123 »

nope no typo :P she was first registered November 2004 :P

Sigh ok so back to the garage again then..

consensus being its more likely something to do with the Coil/ shock change than the rack ect.. just so i know WHICH garage to go back to! LOL
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sorry, Id guessed that, but really 362 THOUSAND MILES too?

Ive not got a lot of experiance of lesser "spinged" cars, with mine all being the hydraulic type! sorry.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Deb123 wrote:nope no typo :P she was first registered November 2004 :P

consensus being its more likely something to do with the Coil/ shock change than the rack ect.. just so i know WHICH garage to go back to! LOL
I'd say the ones that fitted the springs. When I had to fit a spring to my Berlingo, I called Citroen for the parts and they recommended the top mounts were changed at the same time. I thought "of course you would, they're £45 each and you are trying to sell me some..." Of course, once it was all back together, it rattled and knocked, and it was indeed the top mount..

http://s3.amazonaws.com/2cp-images/ques ... 2/large.gi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The top mount is the thing referred to in that diagram as the "mounting block". There is also a bearing in there. If the cost is anything like mine, which I suspect it will be similar if not the same, the bearing was £16 from Citroen, and a pattern top-mount was £45. Of course, the pain is that the strut and spring have to come out to change the top mount. I would go back to the garage who did it and complain like hell about the noise and tell them truthfully that it's only done it since they fitted the spring.
Deb123

Post by Deb123 »

lol yes 362552 miles! i will attempt to upload a pic when i get home. :P currently in the car. :D

cool i will do that then :P first think monday morning they are going to love me! :S chuckle

Plus it DID start after the work.. so had to be related to one lot or the other. :P
Deb123

Post by Deb123 »

ok lets see if this works

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Deb123 wrote:nope no typo :P she was first registered November 2004 :P

I'll bet a cuppa that she's a 54 plate!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

In a surprise helpful post from me..

This is my knackered Berlingo strut top - I'm sure that the Picasso one won't be much, if any different. The damage was hard to spot, when we checked and rebuilt the strut and we missed it completely the first time, and struggled to find it the second time! - You might want to show your mechanic this if they struggle. In the pic , the line with a "2" next to it points to the deteriorated rubber around the centre cup. This had been allowing the centre cup to hit the edge - the dark mark pointed to by line "1" shows the contact mark around the edge. I replaced the strut top and put a new bearing in, and the rattling and knocking stopped.
Deb123

Post by Deb123 »

:P nice one Mike might just take lappy with me! LOL

I shall update once i know.. as there is nothing like looking for someone with your problem... finding one and then them not having posted the eventual findings.

and yes Hell razor.. i owe you a cupper.. sigh. not sure there even has been a 45 :S yet.. lol
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sorry, I'm a bit of a pedantic sod (but at least I know it!). If my maths is right, 45 reg plates will happen in 2045 (if the DVLA carries on with them as they are).

One company car I had was a 54 Picasso 2.0 HDi, and I found it to be a nice car to drive. However, somebody on the forum has found an issue in that the drain holes in the sills are blocked by the paint, which means that water gets trapped in them, and they then rot. I cannot remember who posted the information, or when, but there was a lot of information and photos posted.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Sorry, I'm a bit of a pedantic sod (but at least I know it!). If my maths is right, 45 reg plates will happen in 2045
Maybe Deb123 is a Time Lord (or lady?) which explains the reason for the large mileage on the Picasso?