your latest second hand bargain?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

benj
My Cars:

your latest second hand bargain?

Post by benj »

my brother has just bought a complete mi16 engine/box/aux's/wiringloom ecu etc from a scrappy, with 69,000 miles and full service hist. from a crash damaged bx 16v for £150. bargain.
they even took it out for him and gave it a clean (after running it in the car to prove its good).
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Sounds good, what's he going to put it into ?
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

hes already converted a 205 with one, and was aware of how rare they are getting and how much they are worth, nothing has been decied on yet, but a nice clean 3 door late 309 gti has been mentioned!, then again if anyone is intereseted in one!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I went to my local scrap yard about 2 months ago and there was a 405 mi16 so I liberated it of its inlet manifold to replace my shortened one. The car looked fine so the rest of the engine was probably dead. Only £25 as i removed it myself and my shortened one that cost me £100 will fetch £50 on ebay easily :)
As for my complete engine, I looked at 1 bx 16v and its big ends were clearly going and then travelled 100 miles to look at another. Bit tatty and clutch was shot but only 80k and I got it for £250. Took it home, engine out, saved some of the bx bits then took it to a breaker :)
Ben: any news on those window motors? my passenger one is getting dodgy and I can sense it cheeking me one day and being stuck open :)
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

bought a ZX off Ebay, Elation, 3 Door on a N, T&T for £300. I'm the trid owner so its third hand bargin i suppose. Does that count??
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

p reg 19 t/d xantia estate for £750 with no mot, all it needed for mot was one tyre!
or n reg renault laguna 72,000 miles full service history @ £300
or the bargin i missed was a xm 2.1 td estate k plate dealer/mate couldn't start it and said give me £100 and it's yours, like a mug i squeezed the primer bulb and it instantly sprang into life! i still offered him the £100 but he declined! SO I MUTTERED VERY LOUDLY that the fuel line was split and he withdrew it from the auction! - I know him well and went down to his car lot the next day to offer him cash again and he had it up for sale at £695!! with a 2 inch section of fuel line freshly repaired!
Mark W
My Cars:

Post by Mark W »

Not a bargain possibly compared to the high standard of the above, but I purchased a 92 K reg AX 1100cc Echo from a garage(200 miles away) on Ebay for £495. Not much of a bargain compared to some, but it did come with 12 months MOT and 6 months tax in the price. It had 102,000 on the clock and 2 owners only. Drives very well, with pretty good bodywork etc. Not many AXs left seemingly, and despite horror stories I have read about how fragile they are, everything works on this one. In fact it drives better than most more modern superminis, with fun handling and nippy performance thanks to it's light weight. As a station car with cheap tax it is ideal for my use. It is easy to work on as well, my mechanic doing the cambelt, fuel filter and oil change for £80 It compliments my Xantia TD well. Never thought I would have 2 Citroens, funny how they creep up on you!
Mark W
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Another AX driver...Yay!! i dont feel quite as alone anymore!
I got the full leather interior from a 205 GTI for 50 quid.. front and back seats... door cards.. steering wheel.. had to take it out myself though.. in the rain..
Fits in the wifes 205 a treat and looks great after a clean and polish!![:D]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

In october I bought a ZX Volcane TD for £100 on Ebay, Heater matrix was gone and the chap dismantled it then "lost the will to live"
Today I have bought a BX TZD on Ebay for £151, My current BX GTI/TD was £250 five years ago. If anyone needs an excellent parts car I have another BX19RD for almost free, its got a good engine, recent spheres rear end, rad, head gasket, exhaust, taxed till end of Jan and it MUST GO by Friday 9 Jan when I will drive it to the scrappy.
Happy new year to all of you.
Stewart
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

After months of looking about and phoning scrap yards all over the place, managed to get an electric near side mirror in black for my ZX TD. It came off thompatruck from this site. A very good £20 inc postage. [:D][:D]
ardcorenavint

Post by ardcorenavint »

My H reg BX TGD with 118 thousand miles cost me £60 including 2 and half months road tax.
Not sure it was a bargain tho!
It didnt have an MOT but i got it tested for 40 quid before i bought it. It failed on a tyre, a front sphere and back brakes so i decided i could handle that. I put the rear disks and pads on from my dead TZD estate (see below)along with the two best tyres and the front spheres (the latter being not the correct spec i believe, but passed the test). Air got into the calipers at the rear so i took it to a garage to get the system bled. It passed the first retest.
The work did not end there though. The front seats were knackered and had been tweed in any case, so i put the front seats in from the TZD, and while i was at it fitted the Kenwood stereo that the TZD had when i got it. I also had to put padding around the speaker cover rebates to stop them buzzing under the influence of bass.
I had to also clean years of dog hair and general scum from inside the car, which i did while the front seats were out.
The front bumper is the lovely metallic blue colour of my TZD estate as i crashed the red BX into some nasty uninsured little mini-cab driver who has since imagined a debilitating case of whiplash for himself (believe me, it WAS his fault). The front lights and the plastic light cluster covers are also from the TZD because of the accident, which gave me my first experience of panel beating on the corner of the front wing.
The red paint work was disgusting so i couldnt resist treating the whole thing with t-cut which looks great but i havent yet waxed it. i removed the tattered remains of a rear bumper-trim strip and put "back-to-black" on the orangey-grey rear bumper, which rewarded me by turing the desired red body colour.
I have fitted the OS wing mirror from the TZD, which involved removing all the door trim of course. The old mirror was all tatty and practically hanging off.
I have also installed the NS interior light fitting from the TZD and the rear boot light fitting. Then the last of the lights illuminating my speedo died, so i had to get the console off and change all the bulbs that needed changing, again the TZD was the donor. This was illuminating (haha) as various imporant warning bulbs were not working ... which makes me wonder how often they have come on in hte past :-(. I also changed both bulbs under the heater controls. Interestingly,(and annoyingly) the haynes manual does not tell you about the two or three bulbs which you can only get at by removing the speedo (or part of it) but luckily i found out about this when i powered up the car to test the dash lights before refitting the console.
...and in the process of fixing the console bulbs i busted the speedo cable where it mounts (d'oh) This is not as hard to replace as some would have you believe. I bought a new one for £10 from GSF. A handy hint i got from a mechanic is to put a small cut in the inside of the bulkhead grommet, which makes it possible to get the end of the cable back through. Another handy hint is to lubricate the passage through that grommet with (again)a bit of that slippery back-to-black stuff, after all it is silicone. While i had the glove box out (three screws above, three below) i replaced the broken glove box hinge with one of the metal ones that the previous owner had fitted to the blue TZD.
Now i have to service the damn thing! Plus, the cambelt is getting decidedly venerable, and even after all that hard work i may decide to just run the old car until that belt snaps rather than fork out the £160 for its replacement. The decision to do so depends on how much life the garage can find in the clutch when they adjust it for me. Right now the bite point is very high so i wonder how many miles it will be good for. What i will not do is attempt to adjust the clutch myself. The last time i did this on a car (a VW) something went "ping" and that was one more shed destined for the breakers.
Oh, and there is one other thing: hard suspension, my TZD estate rode like a dream, this car does not, and i think it may need some adjustment to the ride height? In any case another task that i will leave to the professionals when i take it in to get the clutch cable adjusted.
...oh yes and the parking brake warining light stays on unless you wigggle the handbrake lever just-so, so i will be taking the middle piece out from between the front seats to change the switch... time for one more donation from the TZD...
So.. a bargain..? You decide...
The TZD was lovely, cost 280 with 11mths MOT and 1 clear month's road tax but it had 215k on the clock and the head gasket blew early on as someone (not me) left the lid loose on the water tank and air got sucked in eventually. I ran it for most of the year by opening the rad and putting water in every 70 miles. It still loved to go fast and it was very smooth all round.. Except when it got air in to the fuel system through a leak at the filter mountings that i could never face fixing. When the MOT came it failed on perforated exhaust, ABS warnign lights, and ****ged radius arm bushes ... so what with the knackered head and some dents in the rear wings the car was clearly destined for the chop. I was broke so thats why i replaced it with the current saloon which i must admit was a low outlay in financial terms but has been a lot of work.... it has been a nice distraction from trying to finding another job after finishing my degree.
Anyone needing the remaining spares from the TZD esate should get in touch. I think the rear spheres are pretty good.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

J BX GTi - £115 - drives excellent, needs front pads and an exhaust for the MoT. Hadn't been started for 3 months, new battery and 50 miles drive home with no stops for anything apart from a bit of go juice!
Xantia TD VSX - only 125k - £800 off ebay. Few niggles to sort (see seperate postings...) Tax and a Full MoT!
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I recently parted with a 97 Xantia 1,8 LX 16 valve with a replacement engine. I spent a small fortune on it and tried advertising it locally to no avail.
I ended up letting it go for £460 on E bay. I'm glad that someone got a bargain. The great thing for me it that I shifted it after trying to sell it for around 4 months.
Hugo
Ex Xantia 2.0 VSX 16v owner with no regrets
Renault Trafic 1996
Landrover Discovery 1993
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Have recently gotten hold of a set of Citroen wheel trims for the ZX 14" ,ZX fog / driving lamp switch, 2 front door speakers in very good nick and the cover that fit's over the radiator on a ZX inc postage £23 from me old mate thompatruck off this site. I've fitted the fog lamp switch to a pair of fog lamps that came from Halfords. Fitted them in to the bumper in the area that has an oval shape pressed in to it. I think this is where fog lamps probably went as an opption on the Avantage ZX TD. looks good and works great.