fed up now........

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Re: fed up now........

Post by deano1970 »

like that idea malcolm with the petrol and matches......those garages are too far.I found one in stockport,not too far,and they will do it,they just do french cars,called paris autos, but it's going to cost over 200 quid.....said about 15 each for the tubes,20 for cables and 130 for labour,all plus vat....thing is I got the arm bearings done,£330,new battery £70 and new heater resistor and now this......considering cashing in the tax,that was 200 quid and flog it on e bay as it is,save me a further 200 fixing it,so wit the tax,that's nearly 400,plus whatever it sells for on e bay,and get something else to run about in....though just taken the dogs out and it's a lovely day, had sunroof and windows down for the first time.......makes a change.
C5 X7
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine were just a bit less - £194.09 inclusive.

Paris Autos have been recommended several time on the forum.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

yes, seems to be about the going rate,though lighty said it would cost about 120 to do.........the only thing i worry about is if something else goes on it.....where do you draw the line spending on it??
C5 X7
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What made you buy this car to begin with - I mean, what did it replace?
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

it replaced a vectra 04 plate 2.0 dti ls........I liked the look of the car,but don't know enough about cars....seller said it "needed a bush somewhere on the subframe" turned out it needed both radius arm bearings doing, car is lovely to drive and has all the gadgets,but it just seems to be expensive to fix anything on a citroen......I either put it on ebay with no tax,or bite the bullet and get it done and keep it,and hope nothing more goes wrong with it, then put another mot on it and sell it next year.......like i said, it's about drawing the line,I have spent a lot on it,so do i spend another 150-200 and keep it? just wish it was a bit better on fuel...big difference from my old 2.0 C5
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

it replaced a vectra 04 plate 2.0 dti ls........I liked the look of the car,but don't know enough about cars....seller said it "needed a bush somewhere on the subframe" turned out it needed both radius arm bearings doing, car is lovely to drive and has all the gadgets,but it just seems to be expensive to fix anything on a citroen......I either put it on ebay with no tax,or bite the bullet and get it done and keep it,and hope nothing more goes wrong with it, then put another mot on it and sell it next year.......like i said, it's about drawing the line,I have spent a lot on it,so do i spend another 150-200 and keep it? just wish it was a bit better on fuel...big difference from my old 2.0 C5.....the vectra had 200,000 + miles on it and wasn't a bad car really........think I should have kept it.lol
C5 X7
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Trouble is, you can't say a 200K mile Vectra was going to be as reliable from that point onwards; many things would be starting to show their age.

Eight year old Lagunas are bargains here; great balance of car vs cost.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

yes, someone selling one on facebook, taxed and tested,6 speed 1.9 dci on an 03 plate,only £600.....bargain that,but a bit far,was in middlesbrough....quite like the laguna as well
C5 X7
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re:

Post by sparksie »

addo wrote:

Eight year old Lagunas are bargains here; great balance of car vs cost.
Cough MONEY PIT Cough Cough.
Honestly think the C5 will consume less funds than an unknown Laguna.
You're already in up to your arm-pits with the C5, so probably better to stick with it.
The Laguna has a poor reputation for odd electrical gremlins and the gearboxes are known to be troublesome, supposedly due to being built to too tight a tolerance, so they seize up. Thankfully, we've not had to deal with one of those yet, but there are lots of stories doing the rounds in the trade.
By comparison, I have heard nothing (good or bad!) about the C5, though my natural predisposition would have been to avoid it because of the badge. Too late for that now, so my advice would be to hope you're over the hump and the car will behave for a while once this is done.
I've been reading about those handbrake tubes and it seems like a hangover from the old days, when Citroen designed their own cars and repairs were not contemplated at the design stage, meaning major dismantling was often required for routine tasks.
Having said that, it does appear like a simple mechanical puzzle, where the problem can be seen and touched and a solution worked out with common tools and basic skills.
That in itself is refreshing, nowadays!
Why not carry a pair of wheel chocks around for a couple of weeks until you can get help from somebody who knows and get your hands dirty yourself?
I got into this trade by accident, when I discovered fixing cars was a cheaper form of therapy than anything else and suddenly people were paying me to do it.
Have a go, with supervision, and at worst it still won't work when you're finished :-D
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree, the 8 valve 2.0. Hdi engine is probably the most reliable common rail engine on the market, the gearboxes don't normally give any trouble either. The optimum car using this power unit seems to be the Peugeot 406 they hardly ever seem to go wrong. I have both and although the C5 has had some niggely faults its quite easy to work on for a modern car and the parts are relatively cheap, especially after market ones. They are the cars I will be sticking with.

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

deano1970 wrote:yes, someone selling one on facebook, taxed and tested,6 speed 1.9 dci on an 03 plate,only £600
It's only £600 because they are an unreliable nightmare. Even I wouldn't have one. C5 is a much better bet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

well sparksie, I am getting it done....lighty is doing it in a couple of weeks.......paris autos could do it,but lighty is cheaper and he has worked on my car before. As I will be travelling from buxton to ilkeston,I will have nowhere to go until the car is fixed so maybe mark (lighty) will let me watch while they do it.......to be fair,I have had two C5's and I like them,myglaren bought one of them and I wish I still kept the other one, it didn't have the remote key,which i missed,but was quoted £135 for a new remote key all programmed up.....seems like a bargain at the side of what I have spent on this one, but then again,it is a really nice car with all the mod cons,even though it's a 12 year old car.... :-D
as for the laguna,I didn't know they were so problematic, I know most scenics have had to have the dash changed cos they keep packing in,but wasn't aware of the lagunas problems,prob best like you say,to stick with this now,it has cost me enough :)
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

Also,as for the common sense and basic tools thing,as I stated on an earlier post, I booked it into a local indy to have it done,and when I rang to see if it was fixed,they said they had no idea how to do it and aren't going to even attempt it......wish I had booked it in straight away with lighty cos at least I know what they are doing....it's a bit disappointing when a garage you book it into says they aren't even willing to attempt to repair it??
C5 X7
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It is a bit disappointing but at least they were honest enough to tell you rather than attempt it and make a complete balls up of it and cause you even more hassle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

I do actually agree with you there mike, but it's disappointing that it's taken so long to get done and I have to go down to ilkeston again to get it sorted,long way out of town.but yes, at least they didn't attempt it and break something else........they did say there was a broken abs wire but there is no light on the dash?? will tell lighty about that when I take it down....I do know the esp works cos it came on in the winter on an icy morning......
C5 X7