Urgent help needed berlingo mk1 van

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Re: Urgent help needed berlingo mk1 van

Post by Moonberlingo »

Also it's very fumey. The exhaust that is.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just wondered if you had a leaky head gasket, that can cause lack of compression, but doesn't sound like it. How long does it smoke for and if you leave it ticking over for a while does it start smoking again?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I reckon it's a sticking injector. Fill the fuel filter with injector cleaner, start the engine and let it run through.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you can get it then Forte injector cleaner is supposed to be very good. My supplier is trying to get hold of some for me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Plenty on the bay: Forte

re the van - I'd try some injector cleaner, but then I'd be checking the valve clearances and the pump timing.
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

RichardW wrote:Plenty on the bay: Forte

re the van - I'd try some injector cleaner, but then I'd be checking the valve clearances and the pump timing.

Yep, I do try and support my local guy though. He is very good and a bit of a mate.
How he makes a living is a mystery to me.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sticking injectors in IDI engines usually cause a loud knocking - but its worth a try.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi
It's probably worth checking the cam and injector timing, too.
Not difficult on those.
Borrow some bolts from the timing cover and stick them in the holes in the pulleys and flywheel.
If the camshaft one goes in, then so should the flywheel and injector pump ones.
There is a proper locking kit for this engine, but it's absolutely not necessary. The belt cover bolts are perfect and the holes are threaded.
If all is well and the pins/bolts all fit, then the timing is correct and you can start looking for something worn or broken, but I'm inclined to suspect there's a mistake rather than a fault. Those engines are pretty much unbreakable, unless really abused. 300,000 miles is no problem to them, though they do tend to leave their mark anywhere they're parked :)
I had a 406 turbo that got driven through a flood and hydraulic locked. Most engines break a conrod and burst out the side of the block, if this happens. Not the Pug. It recovered enough to clock up a few more thousand miles, but had a serious misfire on one cylinder, due to lack of compression. One piston was slightly lower in the bore at TDC, due to a bent con rod.
I almost put an engine in it, but in the end I weighed it in.
Your Berlingo has a non turbo engine which will cost less to replace, if need be, and will probably have less wear due to being harder to thrash. It'll also be easy to swap, because there's nothing to code to the vehicle. Easy peasy job, if you decide to go that way...
But don't rush out to the scrappy until you've checked the basics.
If the cam, pump, or both are a tooth out, you wouldn't believe the difference it can make.
If the egr is opening at the wrong time, you'll have a manifold full of soot, along with a smelly white/grey exhaust that burns your eyes. Try blanking it off, though if that fixes it, I wouldn't recommend leaving it like that.
Good luck
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the way this thread is going it seems to me you have tooooo many ideas buzing round :? :roll: :wink: ,

you would be best try one thing at a time :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Post by Moonberlingo »

Morning guys thanks for all the latest replies. I think i am gonna start with making sure enough fuel and no air in system first. Followed by a compression test. This van did have petrol put in it before i bought it that is a known fact. I am gonna try and get hold of a diesel compression tester. I did one on a outboard engine and kind of know that all the cylinders need to have a similar value. I presume its the same for a diesel. Will it need to be screwed into the glow plug holes as there are no spark plugs?