failed MOT rear brakes and screen washers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian j
My Cars:

failed MOT rear brakes and screen washers

Post by Ian j »

Well hoped my picasso could have scraped through after steam cleaning the oil off the back plates to hide my leaking brake cylinder but no.. think brake fluid has damaged rear shoes as braking was zero on that side! will be done at weekend!! Also front screen wash deceided to stop working at the test!! plenty of water,makes noise but only dribbled from the jets! rear wash nothing at all!
Had a quick look,am i right in thinking one pump feeds both front and rear depending which way it spins? tried clearing pipes with an airline...get bubbles in resevoir and since i've done that the rear works fine but nothing to the front!!!! Annoying thing is rear wash not in MOT whereas front is!! Any suggestions to sort it out?
Had a look on Ebay,looks like a common feed to twin outlet? can't work out why one works and not the other when both on the same feed and pump spins with either front or rear switch,could i have damaged it by blowing through with an airline?
2004 (54) xsara picasso 2.0 hdi exclusive

2001 (51) xsara picasso 1.8 16v desire
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: failed MOT rear brakes and screen washers

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Trace the pipes through you might have one disconnected (by chance or by your over-pressuring) at a join and the water just going to waste, fairly common place is where the pipes come up to the bulkhead.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

quite often cit/pug fit a tiny one way valve in the washer line/pipe about half way between the reservoir and your nipples,

it usually a white inline dooo daaa bit like a straight washer pipe coupler

there are two types/makes dependent on rp No. showing on service citroen

6434 75
WINDOW WASHER PUMP
SANS CLAPET
- UNTIL RPO 12228

6434 92
AVEC CLAPET
- SINCE RPO 12229

here is price and part No.'s

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000643475 WDW WASHER PUMP 17.39 GBP 20.87 GBP 20.87 GBP

0000643492 WDW WASHER PUMP 19.49 GBP 23.39 GBP 23.39 GBP

you can always do a goooogly search with those No.'s or aim them at your local factors,

usually around £10 squid
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's quite common for one outlet of these dual pumps to fail.
Disconnect the hoses first, though, to see whether it's the pump or not.
Not worth fiddling with at eBay prices!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you could always for a semi temporary permanent fix switch the pipes over from the pump, then use the rear wash switch position to wishy washy the front screen, for the MOT at least
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Ian j
My Cars:

Post by Ian j »

Done a switch over to work front washer via rear switch,hopefully will pass now unless tester is going to be anal because it's not on the right switch! pulled pump out when i had 5 mins at work can blow through pump bit think there's some crap in the pump feeding front,makes the right noises but does seem to labour for front! think just as well to replace as less than £10 for new one then pull old one apart to see what's wrong!
Had a test on the one ways,rear ok front one can blow through either way? would it make the washers not work???

waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Well not a bad thing it failed at least you now have to fix leaking brake fluid!!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
astramanmazdaman

Post by astramanmazdaman »

Why not just do it correctly,you knew the brake was faulty,and you tried to hide it !If it had just produced enough of a reading to warrant a pass and advise would you have carried on topping up the brake fluid ? if you had to do an emergency stop would the car slew onto the pavement or ito oncoming traffic ? as a traffic officer friend of mine said " if you think picking up body parts is hard,try telling a mother with her kids around her that dad is not coming home..."
Ian j
My Cars:

Post by Ian j »

i picked up the new wheel cylinder at the weekend just not 100% sure how to remove drum to replace it! MOT was wednesday and had no spare time to fit it,didnt try to hide the fact it was leaking and told the tester i knew it was leaking before the test! he proceeded to test my car even though he said it would fail because of the fluid leak.It's not like its been loosing fluid for weeks,only noticed it when i gave the underside a steam clean last friday and ive not had to top up the brake fluid either although its not on max level its still well above the min level. the outcome is that the fluid has broken down the brake shoe lining on that wheel so there's no effective braking on it, now having both rear cylinders and brake shoes replaced tomorrow by the garage that does my MOT's. Was advised by the garage that although one rear brake was not working correctly the car's ABS system would maintain sufficient braking that it would be unlikley that the car would slew under heavy braking,and also told me it's why the brake test is done on each axle at a time to prevent the ABS system from giving a false braking efficeincy reading?