Xantia P2 Seatbelts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Xantia P2 Seatbelts

Post by xantiagreen »

I've read that many owners suffer from poor retracting seatbelts front and back, but can't seem to find a curable solution. Some have said spray lithium/white grease on both sides of belt when its fully retracted up to 1/3 of it but some have said that spraying that type of grease would eat away at the webbing and cause big problems, some have said to use furniture polish. Chap called dave-uk on the forum mentioned a fix back in 2009 I think from what I've read where he changed the position of the top swivel mounts and made the opening in the side pillars slightly bigger with good results, members asked for step by step pics diy but cannot find them.

Anyone got any ideas, also why the hell did Citroen decide to replace the middle lap belt from retractable in the P1 xantia hatchback to manual all over the place in the P2 xantia hatchback, can a series 1 retractable belt be fitted to the series 2 xantia there looks like 2 types of retractable lap belts (see these ebay listings)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xanti ... 2a25532524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/citroen-xanti ... 3cdc05b02e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The top one has some interesting comments in the description section and has a good foot of seatbelt showing and also mentions 1993 - 2001 indicating that it would fit any xantia series 1 or 2, yet the bottom listing seems to clip into something at the base and is fully retracted and is off a 1997 series 1 xantia.

Can they be fitted to make life easier for me and the middle passenger! (2001 Xantia Hatch 110 Hdi Forte)

Thanks in advance..
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia P2 Seatbelts

Post by citroenxm »

No. Well they possibly could but then you need to fit series one rear seats as they had the cut out in the base cushion to house the inertia reel belt.. series two doesn't have that.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I wouldn't consider applying any grease to a seat belt.

In the last 6 months, I've used a Dry Lube silicone lubricant (aerosol) on the driver's sluggish belt on 2 cars, and both belts have then markedly improved in retraction mode
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

citroenxm wrote:No. Well they possibly could but then you need to fit series one rear seats as they had the cut out in the base cushion to house the inertia reel belt.. series two doesn't have that.
Will the series 1 seats fit in the series 2, what should I be paying for a good set and do they have the hinge movement so the seats fold flat.

Thanks CitroenXm
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Xantidote wrote:I wouldn't consider applying any grease to a seat belt.

In the last 6 months, I've used a Dry Lube silicone lubricant (aerosol) on the driver's sluggish belt on 2 cars, and both belts have then markedly improved in retraction mode
Will be purchasing some Dry Lube, how did you apply straight from can or onto cloth. Do you have to pull the whole belt out and spray both sides releasing it back in slowly. Appreciated it if you can let me know how you tackled the belts with the Dry Lube.

Thanks Martin.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Can't see why not.. I'm about to get rid of a complete VSX check trim from a series one as I'm putting leather in. Free for collection. I can also supply the centre intertia belt and buckles too..

The VSX trim is rip free on the top.. The rear seats though hav rips out of eye view. Can picture it tomorrow if you like??

A bit of needle work will sort it.. but they are no means poor or bad!!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

xantiagreen wrote:Will be purchasing some Dry Lube, how did you apply
I first cleaned a bit of black muck off the lower part of the top guide that the belt runs through, using mainly a thumb nail, and maybe small screwdriver (sorry, can't remember). Applied a brief spray to the part of the guide which the belt runs over (adjacent belt gets a bit as well) whilst using a rag to stop spraying all the area around about. Then pulled maybe a couple of foot of belt out and sprayed that. Can't be sure whether I just sprayed the one side that runs over the guide, or whether I sprayed both sides for good measure :-D

Best try a little spray on the belt to start with, and see how belt operation improves, as the belt does come into contact with clothing
Martin

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

citroenxm wrote:Can't see why not.. I'm about to get rid of a complete VSX check trim from a series one as I'm putting leather in. Free for collection. I can also supply the centre intertia belt and buckles too..

The VSX trim is rip free on the top.. The rear seats though hav rips out of eye view. Can picture it tomorrow if you like??

A bit of needle work will sort it.. but they are no means poor or bad!!

Will get back to you on the seats, going to have a look at a series 1 xantia for sale on weekend, don't think it will sell priced way to high will check fittings and so on against mine and get back to you. The kenwood stereo I have fitted slotted straight in without any mods then there's a big plastic flap that covers it from view.

Thanks CitroenXM
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Xantidote wrote:
xantiagreen wrote:Will be purchasing some Dry Lube, how did you apply
I first cleaned a bit of black muck off the lower part of the top guide that the belt runs through, using mainly a thumb nail, and maybe small screwdriver (sorry, can't remember). Applied a brief spray to the part of the guide which the belt runs over (adjacent belt gets a bit as well) whilst using a rag to stop spraying all the area around about. Then pulled maybe a couple of foot of belt out and sprayed that. Can't be sure whether I just sprayed the one side that runs over the guide, or whether I sprayed both sides for good measure :-D

Best try a little spray on the belt to start with, and see how belt operation improves, as the belt does come into contact with clothing
Thanks Martin will be doing that in next few weeks, did you take off the pillar that the belt sits it. If I was to pull the whole belt out and spray outwards from the pillar on both sides about a foot or so of the belt would you say if that doesn't work nothing will.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

xantiagreen wrote:did you take off the pillar that the belt sits it
No, didn't touch the pillar. Tried the quickest and easiest way first, and it worked. Cleanup & spray the top belt guide, and apply a bit of dry lube spray to the length of belt which retracts over/through the guide when you undo the seat belt. Hardly took any time at all :)
Martin

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

mine failed the mot this year on lazy belt not retracting, purchased a pair of belts form a xantia (due to the position they work at, they need to come from the same place on a same model vehicle unless you take the cover off and replace the plastic cup, arm and ballbearing in there with the one fromt he old belt, ), fitted the new belt to the car, all back together, Exactly the same! took my old one apart and wound the spring up a turn more first time, and then 2 turns more, refitted after having super snappy retraction in the house, No different, the issue seems to com when the belt is mounted and the guide mounted, the additional friction form it stops it retracting, i also filed down the back of the plastic trim too and cleaned it up, and used some 2000grit paper on the inside edge of the pillar mount to reduce the friction, also Soaked the belts in silicone spray (tesco bumper and trim restorer is very siliconey and only a couple of quid!) and that seems to have sorted the lazy belts,
i only siliconed the drivers side belt up as that was down as just lazy and that one has been fine, it does seem that silicone lube on the belt when extended fully a couple of times will sort the lazyness without having to remove the belts from the car!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Thanks for the info Martin will follow as said, if it doesn't work after a few tries will have to resort to Timmo's method, if only I could afford two keep two cars going the xantia would get a good seeing to.

Cheers Martin, Timmo.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Here is the Trim from a Series one Ill need to get rid of when I put leather in..

Its perfectly fine on the top, but as said, needs some attention around the base edge..

I wont want anything, so, its free to take away!!

I can sort some centre belts too from the stock.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

citroenxm wrote:Here is the Trim from a Series one Ill need to get rid of when I put leather in..
How easy is it to put Series 2 electric leather seats into a series 2 xantia and can you fit series 1 in as well, do you just connect them up under seat or is it a lot of soldering chopping and changing.

Cheers
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Based on the fact your OP says Forte (which is Citroen for LX!), and from what I have read on the forum, you almost certainly won't have the wiring for any seat electrics other than for the side airbags. The SX and above had the loom and connectors in place, even if the seats were the basic variety (although you still needed to fit some fuses, including a maxi).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!