xsara picasso rear brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian j
My Cars:

xsara picasso rear brakes

Post by Ian j »

I've got a weeping rear brake cylinder on my 54 plate xsara picasso,how do i remove the brake drum to change cylinder and rear shoes? Taken the wheel off and removed a small torx head set screw but can't get the drum off!!Thought about winding bolts into where the two screws came out of,didn't know if that would draw the drum off or not? Any advice welcome
2004 (54) xsara picasso 2.0 hdi exclusive

2001 (51) xsara picasso 1.8 16v desire
citronut
My Cars:

Re: xsara picasso rear brakes

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

have you backed of the hand brake cables, as thus will allow the shoes to close down more, this should let the lip on the inside of the drum clear the shoes,

if the drum still wont budge, tap and rotate the drum with a hefty knockometer ( hammer ) till it starts to come away,

also if you need to fit new shoes and adjuster mechanism's GSF do full axle kits ready assembled to fit straight on, at very reasonable price,

these kits contain shoes, cylinders and the adjusters,

quite often the tiny stainless steel pawl that locks the adjuster ratchet has gone walkabout, and to replace this you have to purchase the complete adjuster set, which on its own is dealer only at a rather steep cost,

as i said above the adjuster kit is included in the GSF axle set

were are you located
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Ian j
My Cars:

Post by Ian j »

Thanks for the advice! I'm about a mile from lands end Cornwall,I'm quite practical when it comes to workshop stuff as I'm a farm worker and in charge of maintenance of a fleet of 10 tractors! Just a bit wary of attacking anything blind without some knowledge of how to go about things! Car's due an mot tomorrow,definate fail because of leaking wheel cylinder and as you said,best to replace shoes whilst drums are off! Didn't want to use a percussion tool if I could help it!
2004 (54) xsara picasso 2.0 hdi exclusive

2001 (51) xsara picasso 1.8 16v desire
deuchebleu
My Cars: xxxxxxxxxx

Post by deuchebleu »

citronut wrote: also if you need to fit new shoes and adjuster mechanism's GSF do full axle kits ready assembled to fit straight on, at very reasonable price,
Any chance of a part number for this kit. I've tried searching the GSF site but can't find it. Not helped by their Reg Num lookup thinking my car has rear discs.

John
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I am amazed that those models have drum brakes at all. I think you are lucky. Just think, you could have a Scenic with it's rear discs and electric handbrake :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm led to believe that if a cable breaks on the Scenic handbrake it screws up the electric actuator, which then needs to be replaced - and new ones are north of £700 :shock: Our C4 Picasso has e-brake and discs, but AFAIK doesn't die if a cable breaks - the handbrake unit on these is in the same ball park.... :twisted: Xsara Picasso has huge drums on the back - the one we had never felt underbraked.

PS Brake kits available on ebay - eg Brake kit

Citroen want a slightly amusing £193 for the same thing :-D

Hopefully this will be less bad than when I did a ZX rear brake which stated leaking... muppet who had been therebore had badly fitted the shoes so that one of them had canted over. This had eventually allowed the piston to pop out and leak, but in the process had worn a big groove in the drum. Parts of the adjusters were broken / missing. Pipes just mashed when I tried to get them out of the cylinders. So had to have new drums, wheel bearings, shoes, adjusters and pipes :lol: To cap it all, they had manged to mash the thread on the stub axle (HOW??? It's M20 FFS!) - just managed to rescue it with a thread file and the nut torqued up OK. I dislike working on drum brakes nearly as much as I dislike working on exhausts..... :roll:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

deuchebleu wrote:
citronut wrote: also if you need to fit new shoes and adjuster mechanism's GSF do full axle kits ready assembled to fit straight on, at very reasonable price,
Any chance of a part number for this kit. I've tried searching the GSF site but can't find it. Not helped by their Reg Num lookup thinking my car has rear discs.

John
i dont know a part No.. also i dont use there web site but just call my local GSF branch,

i have only use the kits for a 306 and a Synergie up to now, but they were the beeeeez neeeeez, or should that be the bogs dolocks :rofl2: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Apart from those agony leccy handbrakes, the later Scenics need diagnostics to wind the pistons back............ just to fit a new set of pads :shock:
I don't get a chance to wear discs out now. They tend to rust out and delaminate with cracking first. I remember I used to wear them and leave a lip on outside that I had to file off when fitting new pads. That hasn't happened to me for a long time.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2