headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dave - yah mean like painting over bodyrust with expensive paint [?][:D][:D]
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

It is about time the 'legal' measurement of a lamp was in lumens and not watts. Why should us halogen lamp users be stuck at 55w when bmw merc etc are using discharge lamps several times brighter. Surely the whole idea of limiting the brightness of lamps is to avoid blinding other road users. So why measure this brightness in watts? Just another example of outdated law or the knowledge/intelligence of the people who set the law.
Neil
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The bulbs are expensive but 2 or 3 bulbs last the lifetime of the car. The conversion kit I'm looking at will do 2 bulbs for £300ish, I'm only planning on doing my dipped beams, the full beams are powerful enough for me.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

A little while ago I fitted some Osram Silver Star bulbs to my '98 pre-facelift Xantia. After reading this thread I decided today to check the beam alignment.
Using a laser level to check the level of my drivway and find the centre of the car I marked the correct position of the beams (1.2% Down) on my garage wall.
Whilst I could alter the up/down position by using the inner of the two adjusters each side I could not alter the horizontal positon of the 'kick' point which appeared to be too far to the right. Each outer adjuster only seemed to rotate the beam and not move it to the left. Is this correct?
Richard
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I don't think that you can use discharge bulbs as main beam. They take a few seconds to reach full brightness. The kits that I've seen that enable you to replace a dual filament bulb work by manually shifting the single discharge lamp to change the beam pattern. A friend of mine with an audi had a discharge lamp fail and it took the balast with it - total repair cost £350.00! I'll stick with my vision plusses.....
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I think my dipped beam is bad because the lights are set very high. If it would only stop raining for 5 minutes I will adjust them down and see if they are better.