C2 still problem starter.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

C2 still problem starter.

Post by daviemck2006 »

My C2 is still not behaving itself. A new battery seemed at first to cure it, but it is now needing jump started when cold, it drives perfectly and starts itself when warmed up. The old battery out of it is working properly in the Landie. I then thought the alternator might be goosed, so I have had a bit of checking as far as my limited knowledge of things electrical allows. The voltage in the battery is 12.4V when engine off. When running it shows 14.4V. With car running and alternator disconnected the alternator is putting out 14.4V constant. Thats the new battery in the c2. Out of curiosity the Landie shows 12.4V in the battery, which was the one from the c2 cos I knackered the battery from the landie, and also shows 14.4V across the battery terminals whilst the engine is running. I am wondering what to do next for the c2. I need to get it starting of it's own accord from cold. I have a funny feeling that the car is really voltage sensitive, and have a funny feeling that my "new" battery is new old stock and is not as good as it seems. I cant see any date stamps on the battery, and if I were to take it back to the shop would only get another the same which would still give me problems. If the battery is ok and the alternator is ok, whats the next thing? Starter? poor earth to starter? When jump leads connected it starts instantly. I am thinking my next step is get another battery, but I cant afford to keep chucking money at it just in the off chance it will work. I have no faith in the car, which is a pity cos I actually like it, and it would be cheaper to run than the landrover, one has to go in the spring, looks like its the c2 just now.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C2 still problem starter.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Based on what you have written, I would clean up the terminals of the new battery, and the INSIDE of the clamps. My reasoning for this is that you say she starts instantly with a jump, and you connect the jump leads to the OUTSIDE of the clamps. That suggests (to me, at least) that the rest of the wiring is OK (but we shall see what an expert says). If you were a mechanic you might want something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-BATTER ... 4951011%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT; I didn't mean that you weren't a mechanic, just that, as you weren't a garage mechanic it would be difficult to justify the cost for an item that might get used once in a blue moon.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 20 Feb 2014, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

daviemck2006 wrote:When jump leads connected it starts instantly.
I second what James says. Perhaps unwittingly you've answered your own question. It starts with jump leads, pointing to the existing leads and/or terminals as being suspect
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Ok, today I took the battery out and cleaned the terminals and clamps with sandpaper until they were shining. Battery back in, its still at 12.4 volts and thats putting the voltmeter on the clamps. No joy. Jump leads connected off the freelander, still no go. the dash lights are all ok, no funny messages on the dash no clicks or anything, my guess now is starter motor goosed or connections to starter motor gone bad. I need to get someone else to investigate now, my back is really suffering trying all this outside, I have got a chill or twisted the wrong way or something and I am suffering now. This c2 has got to the stage just now that it can sit and rot until my son in law to be can come down and see if he can figure it out. I shall use the freelander until further notice.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I notice it's a sensodrive, is the dash still showing N when the fault happens, if it doesent know what gear its in the starter wont operate, also the senso models need to see the brake being pressed or the starter wont operate.
just also be aware the sensodrive models need quite a heavy duty battery, probably bigger that the one in your 1.8 freelander.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

It's just been looked at again. The diagnosis is that the new battery is no use for the car. The advice is to buy another battery, a decent one, say a bosch s4 and that should cure it. It is showing n on the display so should know it's in neutral, I asked on the c2 owners also, they reckon that cheap batteries are u/s and go bosch. I can get one delivered for £51 so nae too much of a hit. I'm just a bit peed off with my self for buying a dodgy one from the dodgy shop here for 40quid just because it was convenient. The c2 forum says this car needs 12.8 v before it will start.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Buy cheap buy dear. Mine cost me £100. 02 p. for the C5 although I could have got one they said was "suitable" for around £75.
Still, I saved £16 by booking Airparks instead of the long stay NCP for my trip in March. :wink:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

qprdude wrote:Buy cheap buy dear. Mine cost me £100. 02 p. for the C5 although I could have got one they said was "suitable" for around £75.
Still, I saved £16 by booking Airparks instead of the long stay NCP for my trip in March. :wink:
If I still worked at airparks I could have parked your car and got a go in a c5 x7, I would have put it in the top carpark to get a longer go. Then I suppose you will take the mrs clio :rofl2: It amazing how much cheaper the better service at Airparks is compared to the official long stay. I have worked at both, I drove the yellow long stay bus for 3 years before defecting to airparks. They treat their staff much better also, and I was often asked if I took a big pay cut when I jumped the fence, and the answer to that was also no. Your car will be started with heaters on ready for you on your return, if it has a flat battery, it will still be started, if it has a soft tyre, it will be blown up. All for cheaper price and 7 minutes on a transit minibus instead of 4 minutes on a 25 seat bus. For me its a no brainer! I only wish I could get back to work there.

As for the c2, on the advice of the nice folk on the c2 owners forum I have ordered a bosch S4 battery for the c2. The vauxhall one cost £40, the bosch £47 from eurocarparts and should be delivered on tuesday, with NO surcharge for a remote postcode (40 miles from the oil capital of europe)!!!! I shall see the airport tomorrow, giving my son-in-law a lift to the heliport in the afternoon.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

You could have picked your battery up at Eurocarparts in Aberdeen. It,s on St. Machar road, just down the street from my brothers company, Mulco Engineering. My son is off with Bristows tomorrow to the North Sea Producer for a few days.
Hope the new battery does the trick. I've booked the C5 into airparks. I will have to cancel the seat memory as I am such a short a*se, the parking guy will probably be crushed to death.
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I once got into a top spec range rover in the top car park, seat was fully back and reclined a bit further than i would like. I started engine and got squashed. Happens a lot. There was also the most minging Fiat doblo ever, and if you put the fan on for air you got covered in mining crap. Needless to say the new guys always got it to park or retrieve. If one of the parkers in the know parked it then the fan got put on full speed through face vents just for the guy getting it!
It's typical, I had to go out a while today and note through door on return attempted parcel delivery today. I have a doctor's appointment at 9.10 in the morning, hope the courier is not early in the morning. I should only be out for about 20 mins max. A note will be left on the door, so I hope to report on c2 tomorrow.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Too late, but I was in past My brothers place next to Eurocarparts yesterday. I could have collected your battery and you could have collected it from me in Inverurie. (and had a wee go of the C5)
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Battery here, still no go. I need a proper diagnosis. Think now I'm on older cars forever that AA is gonna be joined with home start. Thats probably cheaper than a tow to a garage. I'm saying forever cos doc signed me off for 6 months this morning. :cry:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

daviemck2006 wrote:Battery here, still no go. I need a proper diagnosis. Think now I'm on older cars forever that AA is gonna be joined with home start. Thats probably cheaper than a tow to a garage. I'm saying forever cos doc signed me off for 6 months this morning. :cry:
That's a bit of a blow, is there anyone near with Lexia? Also a bit of a blow regarding the health situation, hope it improves with the weather as we move towards spring.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Going by guesswork the next thing to try is the starter. There's no guarantee that it's the cure, and I can't afford to throw money at it until it goes. Time to join the AA with home start, cheaper than a tow. And just to p**s me off more, EML came on in the freelander today. At least it's still driving perfectly.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I've not been in a good place the last few weeks health wise and have had a family emergency to deal with too. When I have been in the car the land rover going perfectly. The EML goes on and off at will but nothing seems wrong apart from having developed a slight exhaust blow. Complete new exhaust £60 delivered so won't be pricking about with it. Right now, 3 pm I'm waiting for the AA to help. That's the car one, not the drink one, although I am a member of it too and have been for 10 years+ I shall let u know shortly.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2