suspension evolution... or something wrong???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

suspension evolution... or something wrong???

Post by sparksie »

Hi

I was speaking to one of my old colleagues today and mentioned my Xantia.
He reminded me of a DS we used to service.
That car used to hiss and spit and wheeze like a 60-a-day smoker. It was like waking a dragon when you started it from cold and it slowly stood up!
Once settled it still used to "talk to itself" in clicks and whistles while ticking over.
Most of these traits were still evident in the GSs, though far more discreet.
Now that I think about it, the Xantia doesn't seem to do this at all.
It doesn't sink, of course, so less has to happen at start-up. But it does do a little stretching, at both ends, with no noticeable noise from the hydraulics.
Is this how it should be, or an indication of more trouble on the way?
Forewarned etc
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: suspension evolution... or something wrong???

Post by Xaccers »

It's normal. All you should hear when running is a click/tick from the regulator by the accumulator, at least 30 seconds between clicks unless the accumulator is low/flat.
Sometimes they'll be the odd groan/long fart if the front struts get dry, oh and a bit of a hiss if you hold the steering at full lock.
Don't remember the BX making any noises either, nor the DS/GSs that have been at the ralleys...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The anti-sink Xantia's have a very low delivery pump for the suspension/brake section (only 2 of 8 pistons devoted to suspension/brakes) compared to all older models except for the GS (single piston pump even lower delivery) and the very early ID's. (Also a single piston pump)

Later DS's, CX, BX and very early (sinker) Xantia's have high delivery multi-piston pumps so they can be a bit noisy (hissing) when lifting up due to the much greater flow volumes through the pipes. (my mums 1.9TD sinker Xantia was particularly noisy in the FDV area) So its normal for the hydraulic system to be very quiet on an anti-sink Xantia. Nothing to worry about. :) Personally I like the suspension to do its job without too much fanfare so I'm quiet happy for the Xantia suspension to stay mostly up over night and not make a big song and dance about lifting in the morning! :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Wow, tell me more...
8 pistons in the hydraulic pump and only 2 of them for brakes and suspension?
What is three times as important as brakes?
I never had any dealings with any of the big Citroens, apart from that DS.
Several Dyanes, a 2CV or two and three GSs, one of which was a "Pallas", according to the badge on its rump.
I had the pleasure of doing the starters on two of the GSs. A manifold off job. For any youngsters still reading this, you do not want to be disturbing inlet manifolds on cars equipped with carburettors! Somebody else did the third one, by cutting a massive chunk out of the bell housing. God help anybody who inadvertently put their fingers in there!!!
I swore I'd never own a French car, based on my experiences with those and it has been a good life-policy, up to very recently.
There was nothing wrong with the Pug 504, apart from its looks. But it cost too much to fix, when things went wrong, so running costs eventually wrote them off. The 405 went the other way. Very pretty, but poorly engineered. Cheap-ish parts couldn't compensate for the no. of repairs, so running costs did for them too. The 406 got it right and I broke my own rule. Great car, cheap parts, good reliability, good looks... The only thing wrong with it was the Lion badge, which crucified second hand values. But that suited me. I could afford to throw it away, if anything serious went wrong. This, I confess, was what attracted me to the Citroen.
Little by little, as I get sucked further and further into the financial pit it lives in, my Xantia is winning me over.
There can be no more pretence that it's a business asset. It became non viable for that on its first outing and has steadfastly held its position as a yard ornament ever since, right up to Monday, when we finally seemed to come to an understanding. She's mine and she's being good, for now!
Fingers crossed...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The steering system is what gets the output from the other 6 cylinders. I don't know if the steering is 'backed up' by the accumulator/anti sink spheres, whereas the brakes certainly are. This is because they are powered (NOT power assisted), so when there is no pressure there are no brakes at the pedal (you still have the handbrake).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

The steering system has no link (other than the pump and tank) with the rest of the system. The logic behind the 6+2 design is that the power steering system is much more volume hungry than the rest of the system and in case of emergency it makes good sense to keep it away.

Once an anti sink Citroen is pressurised it really doesn't have much demand from the pump (providing everything else is working correctly). The only downside is it takes forever to initially get up from low.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Yes, I did wonder about the length of time that took, but wasn't unduly concerned as there's no murk in the reservoir and the behaviour of the system as a whole is not changing.
Still, nice to know it's supposed to be like that!
I've spent almost 7 hours in my Cit between yesterday and today. Yes, IN it, not under it. WooHoo!!!
500 miles, in atrocius weather for driving, and I've found something Citroen do better than anybody else.
The rain sensing wipers are a lesson to makers of much more modern machinery. They wipe exactly when I need them to and never when the screen is too dry. Even the latest BMWs don't get that right!
This one handles gusty cross winds very well, too. No problem staying between the white lines, even when everybody else is driving an invisible slalom.
Almost makes up for the driving position. There must be a way of fixing that.
Knees and shoulders are sore, after sitting for so long with knees bent at right angles and still having to lean forwards to reach the steering wheel.
I've had to abandon the "quarter to three" hand position, in favour of single handing at 6 o'clock to relieve the neck and shoulder issue!
I really need to get the wheel a couple of inches closer, even with the seat back practically vertical.
What do seasoned Citroen owners do about this?
I don't picture you guys dragging your knuckles on the ground when you walk, so what's the secret?
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm just average sized (5' 9") and never found my Xantia, BX, GS, Visa or the C5s remotely uncomfortable and was/am happy to drive long distances in them.

On leaving my C5 and driving Jim's Activa I did find the seats very much more comfortable and have found the same after swapping cloth seats for leather in the current C5.

May be just me though as I was equally happy in my daughter's Rover 75 but the best on was one of her SAAB 900s, the Aero.

ETA:

When the Xantia was written off, I hastily bought an Accord, needed a car in a hurry and it fitted the bill.
I was crippled in the damned thing for the first couple of months, had to practically crawl out of it and was driving around 1500 miles a month in it.
Then adapted to it and it was OK after that. Also fun when I found out how quick it went - that took a while too :)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

My S2 Xantia estate groans when I get out sometimes which is embarrassing to say the least it also raises and lowers at the front end when the steering is on full lock and you have your foot on the brake pedal. all new spheres fitted last August.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:When the Xantia was written off, I hastily bought an Accord, needed a car in a hurry and it fitted the bill.
I was crippled in the damned thing for the first couple of months, had to practically crawl out of it and was driving around 1500 miles a month in it.
Maybe that's why Jesus didn't like to talk about his:

*badumtish*
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:rofl2: