Xantia alternator belt tensioner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Xantia alternator belt tensioner

Post by sparksie »

Hi
For the first time in weeks, the Xantia came home with me today.
Had a little fun this morning, bringing it in out of the rain. I didn't let on that the clutch was fixed, so I looked for pushers to help get it up the slope into the workshop.
With engine running to make steering easy, I jumped in so we could close the door on the way in. When the guys were taking the strain, I drove it in serenely, leaving them looking foolish out in the rain!
Sadly, neither of them fell on the ground, but it was still funny watching their faces in the mirror :lol:
The dry scraping sound turned out to be the alternator belt tensioner pulley.
As luck would have it, the local motor factor had a Gates one (part no T36059), on the shelf. 60 Euro later it was mine!
For once, a nice easy job.
Turn the vertical allen bolt clockwise, until the head is almost flush with the bottom surface of the tensioner bracket.
Pop the cover out of the middle of the pulley and withdraw the allen bolt hidden under it, followed by the obvious bolt half way down the bracket. The tensioner will fall out now, if you let it.
Take note of the route of the belt, before pulling it out for inspection.
Mine was a bit worn, but a new one wasn't available, so I had to refit it.
I found the easiest way to refit the belt was to leave the tensioner very loose, thread the belt around all the pulleys, leaving the hydraulic pump to last.
Working in the wheelarch, it's easy to slip the belt on to the last pulley before lightly nipping up the two allen bolts. Then turn the vertical bolt counter-clockwise to tighten the belt. When happy with the tension, tighten the two bolts fully and don't forget to replace the plastic cover over the centre of the tensioner pulley.
Job done!
All in all, no harder than any other, other than the need to work in the arch, rather than under the bonnet.
I can't help thinking they forgot to put the razor blades around it and immovable panels in the way of it :wink:
Nice to have two cars at the house, for a change and Volvo corner looks empty, with only a Volvo in it!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD