C5 hesitation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

agaafear

Re: C5 hesitation

Post by agaafear »

agaafear wrote:Some electronic part of the coolant system was mentioned. I'm trying more fuel system cleaner! I notice it only happens when the car is a normal temp on temp gauge.
That's a bummer! Problem can't be that elusive!
agaafear

Post by agaafear »

agaafear wrote:Some electronic part of the coolant system was mentioned. I'm trying more fuel system cleaner! I notice it only happens when the car is a normal temp on temp gauge.
It can't be that elusive to find!
agaafear

Post by agaafear »

So, I'm guessing the EGR is located at top, rear left side of engine. You can see the top behind the silver cover. It seems to have a lot of wires and connections in its vicinity... Not sure I'd risk taking it off.
agaafear

Post by agaafear »

Has anyone tried the spray on EGR cleaner - you put it in the open air filter while revving the engine... This hesitation/jerking is happening at almost exactly 1,750 rpm - and otherwise no problem. Very annoying!
MadMalx
My Cars:

Post by MadMalx »

I've tried the contact cleaner on a few connectors but found no difference. Fault code reader gave me p0300 code which relates to a general misfire, but couldn't read live data with my system so I'm waiting on a Lexia set-up coming before I investigate further.
2011 Citroen C1VTR
2010 Citroen C4 Grand PIcasso 1.6hdi
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder if there is something restricting the fuel line? Somebody had a similar problem on a Xantia, and when he blew down the fuel line a flake of paint came out, and his problem has nor re-occurred since.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 33#p408433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oops, should have been in the post for the other C5 problem!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 29 May 2014, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
agaafear

Post by agaafear »

Surely, this would affect the car at various engine speeds and particularly when accelerating hard... It's at a specific rpm point, irrespective of the gear.
agaafear

Post by agaafear »

MadMalx wrote:I've tried the contact cleaner on a few connectors but found no difference. Fault code reader gave me p0300 code which relates to a general misfire, but couldn't read live data with my system so I'm waiting on a Lexia set-up coming before I investigate further.
I believe this one, from Wynns, is sprayed into the air intake while the engine is operating...
MadMalx
My Cars:

Post by MadMalx »

Been out and about in the car today and it feels down on power, with a noticeable hesitation through the rev range but still able to get up to 70mph eventually. Also found a new 'hiccup' at 4500rpm when accelerating hard - never misfired under full throttle before. On the plus side my diagbox kit has arrived, only issue is that my netbook doesn't have a drive to put the disc into...
2011 Citroen C1VTR
2010 Citroen C4 Grand PIcasso 1.6hdi
agaafear

Post by agaafear »

So, I tried the Wynns stuff! This morning when the car was warming up the idle was all over the place. The spluttering was worse than ususal. The car stalled at traffic lights and took then minutes before it would finally restart. Now, there is also a dim squealing noise or a whisting noise - particularly noticeable at idle. I'm starting to think French cars should be avoided! This could be a money pit!
Smarty2

Post by Smarty2 »

I don't know where you live, but Mobile Vehicle Services at Essington are worth a shot if you live in the midlands? They are a brilliant Garage and have all the latest diagnostic equipment for Citroens. And very reasonably priced labour costs.
Current: C5R Exclusive
EX: C5 2l SX auto
Xantia 2l Hdi exclusive
XM 2.1 TD auto Estate
CX 2.5 TD saloon
BX 1.7 Diesel saloon (2 of)
agaafear

Post by agaafear »

Smarty2 wrote:I don't know where you live, but Mobile Vehicle Services at Essington are worth a shot if you live in the midlands? They are a brilliant Garage and have all the latest diagnostic equipment for Citroëns. And very reasonably priced labour costs.
Cheers - I am in Ireland - Dublin area.
Smarty2

Post by Smarty2 »

Bit far then! :-D
Current: C5R Exclusive
EX: C5 2l SX auto
Xantia 2l Hdi exclusive
XM 2.1 TD auto Estate
CX 2.5 TD saloon
BX 1.7 Diesel saloon (2 of)
hattershaun
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C6 3.0HDi Exclusive
SM 3.0 manual 1972
DS 23 Pallas 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic 1982
C3 Pluriel 2009

Post by hattershaun »

agaafear wrote:So, I tried the Wynns stuff! This morning when the car was warming up the idle was all over the place. The spluttering was worse than ususal. The car stalled at traffic lights and took then minutes before it would finally restart. Now, there is also a dim squealing noise or a whisting noise - particularly noticeable at idle. I'm starting to think French cars should be avoided! This could be a money pit!
These symptoms are the same as experienced by a mate's XM 3.0i V6 24v (ESJ9 engine) last weekend.
Loss of power, irractic idle, hissing noise from engine bay.
Turned out to be the catalytic converter innards had disintegrated and virtually blocked the exhaust. There was virtually no gas coming out of the exhaust, instead gasses were being forced out of the exhaust manifold joints at the engine end.
The cat had been rattling for a while, a sure sign it's life was coming to an end, but at 14 years and 120k miles one could say it'd had lasted well.
The temporary fix was to drill some holes in the cat, to allow the gasses to escape, made a nice loud noise and got him home!
Shaun

C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive - 2010
SM 3.0 - 1972
DS 23 Pallas - 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic - 1982
C3 Pluriel - 2009
agaafear

Post by agaafear »

Well, the car hasn't quite that array of symptoms! Garage reset the auto adaptives on the ecu and it seems to be running perfectly. They checked the coil pack, O2 and some other sensors and cleaned the idle control valve. Car is 12 years old with 53,000 miles and engine plus underneath are spotless. Hoping that's and end to it!