Citroen C4: Passenger door does not OPEN!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c4tobe

Citroen C4: Passenger door does not OPEN!

Post by c4tobe »

I have a C4 hatchback (1.4petrol, 2004). Today I just get in the car, closed the door (passenger side), and in the first curve, the door opened! I closed it and it was fine. I get out of the car, and closed the door with a bit more force, to make sure that it closes.

Now, the door does not open at all!

Not from inside, nor from outside.
It is the passenger side door and does not have a lock to insert the switch, so I could not try that.
When I try to open it from inside by pulling the handle, the red blinking light on the door lock/unlock button on the dashboard does not go off.

It seems something inside the door is broken/fallen/? because when I try to lower the passenger windows, it stops after going down 10 cm, as if it hits something. Also, the door handle from outside, lost its springy nature. When I pull the handle (from outside), the handle does not spring back towards the car!

Any idea? How am I supposed to get access to the lock mechanisms of the door in order to repair/replace the lock mechanism, while the door remains locked and closed?!

Thanks
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Re: Citroen C4: Passenger door does not OPEN!

Post by Fake Concern »

I believe you need to remove the door card to access the mechanism.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Fake Concern wrote:I believe you need to remove the door card to access the mechanism.
Which is going to be a problem if the door won't open!
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

qprdude wrote:
Fake Concern wrote:I believe you need to remove the door card to access the mechanism.
Which is going to be a problem if the door won't open!
Agreed, but I think it is the only option, I think you can still get to some of the edges to prize it up. Just try to do as little damage as possible.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yep, sounds like the door handle mechanism is off, and fouling the window. Any way of removing the door handle from the outside?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
c4tobe

Post by c4tobe »

Thanks guys for the replies.

As qprdude suggested, is it possible to remove the door handle from outside?
c4tobe

Post by c4tobe »

So seems my last chance is to try to open it door card form inside :(

Can anyone tell me how it is done (is there a video or a how-to like Hayens for it?)
It will definitely help to know the position of screws and those plastic hooks.

Probably I will need to un-mount the passenger chair to get more space. I will try. :|
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I did a quick check on the Service Documentation, it seems the only way is to take everything off the inside door ... literally everything, after that the glass widow and everything related ... before you even attempt to detach the handle from the door ...
Jack Aspery
New User
My Cars: Citroen 1.6 C4 petrol

Post by Jack Aspery »

My 1.6 C4 came out of MOT with Childproof locks activated and we went on holiday not aware of the pending problem. We had passengers in the rear who could not get out of the vehicle because of these locks. One passenger knew all about Childproof safety locks and used my C4 key and opening the rear door inserted the key into the rubber grommet and said 'that will fix it' - which on closing the door would not open again. The other side door was OK . Read the manual and realised Childproofing was controlled differently to his Hyundai but try as we might we could not open the nearside passenger door. Packed the car up with difficulty with one door out of use apart from window opening and closing.
Could not find any help on the internet as all help started with doors open and ours was firmly closed.
Eventually after switching the childproof locking system on and off a few times my son realised that the good side had more play in the opening lever than the faulty side so switched off the childproof locks once more and gave the inside door handle an extra strong pull to force it to move the same amount as the working handle and the door opened.
Once opened we could see that a little piece of the rubber grommet had been pushed on to the opening mechanism, this was removed with a pair of snout nosed pliers and thrown away. After various checks on the mechanism to prove it would work OK we eventually closed the door and tried it again - wonders never cease the door worked fine.
Moral is switch locking system on and off (even disconnecting the battery) before giving up!!!
Hope you fix it.
jacob_c4
New User
My Cars: Citroen C4 2008 hatchback

Post by jacob_c4 »

Hi ,
did you solve it ?
how ? I am facing similar problem ..
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Try leaning fairly heavily on that door (from the outside). My first C5 decided that one door would not open (from either latch), but when I leaned on it the problem cleared and I could open the door (I wonder if a switch had not 'closed' properly so the car could not 'see' the status of the door). I then dosed each lock with a quick squirt of oil, just to make sure all of the mechanisms were moving freely.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!