1.6 16v HDI Dv6 engine...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

1.6 16v HDI Dv6 engine...

Post by citroenxm »

Some of you Prehaps most of you know I do work on engines personally. Bought up on Petrol my fourth car was a bx 1.9 d.
After that I'd many of citroen in diesel form. I had then in recent years after teaching my self how to repair an xud inside out from broken cam belts etc helped a number of local Citroën owners which continues to this day.

Moving on to hdi.. thé 8v 2.0 DW family is possibly thé best engine psa made, Prehaps on a párwith tthé xud 12 in thé Xm xantia and 406..

As we know psa then soon signed agreements with Ford to co develop engines. Thé result 1.4 dv4 8v single cam and dv6 16v twin cam Engines. Thé 1.6 soon got a reputation for gunge building and turbo failures.

This instantly put me off. After all my current xantia despite her issues is on 270k but I'm beginning to believe thé fault is on the car and is not the unit itself directly.

However recently my brother has a 1.6 16v in a pug 207 sw, my sister has a c4 1.6 16v and my mum has a c5 also with thé 1.6 16v in it so all in all it was inevitable I'd be working on one sooner then later.

And yes that time has been and gone. The first was with my brothers 207. An anti pollution fault throwing the car Iinto limp mode turned out to be a fuel filter problem. The filter was blocked and so the pump couldn't draw enough fuel through. New filter job done

However my sisters was a bit more involved. Her turbo decided to give up. No problem you might think .. we'll no. From the days of xud being anything but a pig to work on the blower to ding the most friendly est of engines to work on. It's right "there" looking at you when you open the bonnet and remove the cover if it needs removing..

The issue though to gaurentee a replacement turbo is to remove all traces of carbon and any gunk. So its sump off which is a simple job. No need to remove exhaust lower pipe. Then it's oil pick up off.. This again simple. Three torx bolts. Clean the pick up out.. refit. Refit sump. Then ideally you need the injectors out. Here's where the fun starts. It's being believed that leaking injector seals contribute NOT cause injector failure from car on working it's way into the oil. Not sure how myself but a leaking seal needs sorting .. unfortunally i did a bad job on the injector swap previously and the c4 had been leaking. Removal? Yes but the injector guide tube came out with it. No problem a bit of heat and it goes soft and the tube came off.

Cam covers: the cam cover is actually the cam shaft carriers. Don't get confused, the cam belt needs to come off and the cam pully off.. hang on, there's only one cam pully. The exhaust cam is driven by an internal chain and tensioner all built into the under side of the cam covers.. Once the belt is off remove the inlet manifold and there's about 15 8 mm head screws around the edge but hang on here's where I think the injector weakness is. There's two posts per injector that hold them in.. but the bolts also double up as centre cam cover securing bolts and use a m8 the read.

Removing the cam cover then also lifts both cam shafts and the cap bearings are bolted to the underside of the carrier. Then all 16 rocker fingers are thé here in front of you..

removing the cam cover though does do one thing .. It disturbes the injector tube upper oil seals. These when installed need fitting around the tubes. I discovered a way to do this. Using a 15 mm socket push the seal onto it then place the socket over the injector tube.. The seal will centralise the socket.. oil or fairy liquid the seal sides then press the seal down it then pops into place and is installed correctly.

What Im finding with these engines is though, that they are quite compact, they ARE fairly easy to work on, there IS pleanty of room to get round them, though you do need to remove the the scuttle and waterproof trims from the bottom of the screen on C4's and 307s and 206's. Though this is NOT a hard thing to do.

Im actually finding them an ok unit to work on, I might like them, I might not.. But for things to come, work should get easyer for those who work on engines yourself..

opinions can change and understanding ins and outs can make these changes.

I've also found that they do not have a lift pump. If there's a hand primer on top of the engine then the engine fuel pump is just that a pump and rail pressuriser. One less pump to worry about.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 1.6 16v HDI Dv6 engine...

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nice write up, Paul.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

This engine is in everything we work on at the moment, so we have had to get to love it. My sons 206 gti has been running a very aggressive map with no dpf , egr etc for the last 25,000 miles, have to say it pulls like a train, and can do 60 + mpg on very gentle use! it must be running 140 bhp. It has proved to be very reliable, even with 130 ,000 pn the clock.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Preciesly my point Lighty, its into a lot of things due to Fords Camp and PSAs own.

I do now beleve it can be a good engine, it just needs understanding, BUT it is an easy enough unit to work on..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for that Paul, I have no intention of getting one in the near future but you never know.

Peter
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

citroenxm wrote:I do now beleve it can be a good engine, it just needs understanding.
My feeling is that PSA designed yet another decent diesel engine . . .

. . . and then let Ford have a tinker with it. :roll: #-o
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

What is the 2.0. 16 valve like Paul?
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

It's psa own engine and a very good unit indeed. I've heard little complaints to none about them

quite different too the fuel pump is driven off the end of the cam shaft and NOT by the cam belt.

Initially 138bhp then by 2010 I think raising to 160bhp.

WORTHY AND WILL WORTH SEE KING OUT!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Paul I will bear that in mind.