The C5 Fits!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

The C5 Fits!

Post by qprdude »

Having a garage full of stuff is a pain. I had plenty of space for SWIMBO's Renault Clio, with three tool boxes and various electrical hand tools, chargers, child seats, garden tools, overalls, thermals, bits of wood and sheet metal, and on and on.
Yesterday, I decided on a clear-out, but ended up with a re-organisation. From the garden shed, I took both sets of golf clubs and electric trolley (unused for three years) and stored them in the garage roof space, along with some other bits and pieces. From the garage, I moved the toolboxes and trolley into the shed, followed by various other tools. I fixed chipboard sections to the breezeblock walls and knocked in some brackets and nails. All the garden tools were hung up, along with saws, workmate table and a host of spanners etc.
All that was left on the garage floor was a small cabinet with plant food/weedkiller. etc. A small trolley with battery charger, wash bucket and sponge/chamois, shampoo/polish. and lastly, the tumble drier.
All stacked neatly under the boiler at the rear of the garage. Now I have to unlock the shed to get my tools, but most importantly, the C5 is now proudly installed in a warm dry home. OK, I had to fold the mirrors in as I passed through the up and over door and swoop over to the left so that I could get out of the car, but it is in, and looking magnificent in it's winter home. It's about three inches clear of the tumble drier at the front, and the garage door clears the top of the boot lid by about an inch when the door is closing.
Why do they make "standard" garages so blooming small, and why do we proceed to use them for storing anything but our cars! Maybe it won't be suitable , but for now, the Clio stays in the drive.
(Got a sore back again though, golf clubs and trolleys ain't light) :roll:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: The C5 Fits!

Post by Citroenmad »

I'm not sure why more people dont use their garage for the car either. After all, they are often (not always!) car sized and you would think that was their intended purpose. Many people round here don't even use their driveways so there are cars littering the small roads.

While our garaging does need a clearout from time to time and always requires organising, there is always space for the cars.

Well done, feels good to have cars garaged :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:I'm not sure why more people dont use their garage for the car either. :lol:
Read qprdude's post again.

The car barely fits. He has to move it over to the left to even get out.

Now imagine it with a passenger and a couple of kids and a pile of shopping. It's hassle if the car barely fits. Yes, I know you could unload it first.... but in the pouring rain? When it's dark?.... it's a real hassle then, especially to come back outside to have to do it once you're in the warm and dry

Same goes for getting it out on a cold wet morning. Stand in the rain opening garage doors, wiggle car out, get out in the rain to shut garage, get back in car wet? No thanks. I'd rather just walk out to the car, get in and drive off.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It depends how old your garage is, but many were made a good size for the average car of their day, or in some cases, a horse :)
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I could happily live with having to move a car over to the left of a garage to get out, seems very simple.

I effectively play a game of Tetris every day to fit the cars in here, I'm well used to it. Fortunately our garaging is spacious.

Perhaps I need to have a cut back!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Basically, the C5 stays inside unless I need the garage space to work in. The Clio is plenty good enough for shopping trips etc. (think I'll buy a Smart for two next.)
Rick.

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

The problem is that over the years, new car models have very slowly been getting larger that the model they replace, whereas I'd be surprised if garages have increased at all. And in any case, even if new housing does have larger garages as standard, most of us live in properties with the older "standard" size garage.

Couple of years ago, I was behind a classic Rover 3500 at the traffic lights, and it looked so narrow in comparison to modern cars, as well as being on skiny tyres. In it's day, that Rover was considered a medium/large family saloon.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes Martin, I believe the C5 X7 is some 6.5 inches longer and 7.5 inches wider than the earlier car. Doesn't sound like much, but the width especially makes it a bit close to the door frames. What with modern, large mirrors sticking out from the door, the X7 width is massive. (remember the door mirrors on Cortinas etc?)
We live in a 3 bed semi, circa 1981. Another difference is the direction of the door. my garage is at the left of the house, so when I put the car in, the support pillar is at the drivers side on the "non attached" wall . If it was the other way round, the drivers side would be next to the house wall, so no pillar and easier to get the car door open. I suppose I could reverse in, but its bloody tight and as I have to fold the mirrors, part of the maneuvre would be blind along the sides.
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:I could happily live with having to move a car over to the left of a garage to get out, seems very simple.
!
It is, but take into account all the other factors I mentioned.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

qprdude wrote:Yes Martin, I believe the C5 X7 is some 6.5 inches longer and 7.5 inches wider than the earlier car.
Something like that, about 6 inches longer than the original C5 but less that 2 inches longer than the facelifted version. The C5III Tourer is shorter than the C5II estate!

Width there is about 2.5 inches difference, with the C5III being the widest.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I had a Mk 1 many years ago, and it went into the garage no problems width-wise. Didn't have to shift the mirrors. Admittedly that was when I was working, and the toolboxes were at work, and the tumble drier was in the kitchen so there was plenty length.
I wasn't really sure if the new car would go in, as I'd only paced out the dimensions rather than measuring.
Now we will be able to take the Clio to the airport when we go off gallavanting, and leave the C5 safely locked inside. (I hate leaving the C5 out for weeks in the drive, or in airport car parks)
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

@ citroenmad - True about the X7 tourer, being shorter than the 2nd generation, but the difference is unnoticeable: 4839 mm of the older version compared to the 4829 mm of the X7 ... We don't have such problems with our two C5's at home, we have a big carport, with room to spare, rough foundation size is 6,5 x 8 m ... so, you could park the cars in almost any direction ... :D ... and access if from any side ... but, it is a problem here as well with slightly older houses, especially the ones that have garages in the house, you're stuck with either having to buy a smaller car that fits inside, or getting a larger one and park it outside ... long gone were the days when the VW Golf was 3,5 m long ... :D
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My friends have recently bought a newly built house - 4 bed detached jobbie, with in built garage. Garage is not even big enough for a current model Corsa!!! Our garage would be big enough for 2 cars, but the Visa, work benches, tools, bikes and stuff means there is not really room to get a second car in....
Richard W