loud squeal !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

loud squeal !

Post by froggy »

Hi, my series1 Xantia, the car starts ok, but when I drive off, there is a very loud squeal noise, its lasts for about a minute or so. would the auxcillary belt need changing or tightining, or could it be something else ? it only makes this noise when I start off ! thanks in advance Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: loud squeal !

Post by Xantidote »

I'm assuming that the squeal only occurs just after you've operated the starter motor, in which case YES, most likely the belt needs adjusting/tightening. The squeal happens whilst the belt is slipping , caused by the extra load being put on the auxillary belt by the alternator, which is trying to put the charge back into the battery after you've operated the starter.

On early TDs, the adjustment of the belt was done manually (such as on mine, built 1995, RP 6794). If your's is manual adjustment, note that the tensioner pulley bracket has TWO bolts which need to be slackened slightly before turning the adjuster, the less obvious bolt being in the centre of the pulley, probably covered by a black plastic blanking disc.

Later TDs had a more fancy tensioner system which I've no knowledge of.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Re: loud squeal !

Post by froggy »

thanks
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]