Stereo upgrade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulm
My Cars:

Stereo upgrade

Post by paulm »

Hi guys,
I've just bought a 2003 Xsara VTR (the new styling with the seperate fog lights) Way down here in Oz it's hard to get good info (even from the dealers - what I want to do is upgrade the stereo. I am told I can get a 6 stacker from the dealer but surely I can do better than that? does anyone know what brand is currently used in the Xsara? I'd like to put something better in but I don't want to lose the steering controls and I am wondering what happens to the display panel above with a different head unit? Does it just display time & temp?
Any ideas????
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

the exsiting unit is probably going to be a blaukpunt or similar.
I know that Kenwood do all sorts off suff to keep your dash display and steering wheel remotes. have a look at: www.justkenwwod.co.uk
There very good and there help over the e-mail is spot on.
Ross
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if you get an accesory CD changer from citroen you will have to get a dealer to program it into the multiplex network in the car or it wont work.also if you remove the original stereo you should get it de-programed from the car and/or an adaptor harness part no.970686 (i think) or it could cause all sorts of problems.
it will just display temp & date with a different radio.
i think its either a clarion,phillips or blaukpunt head unit.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Hi Paul,i tried to reply to your e-mail but was unable to as it was rejecting it so heres a copy of what i sent.
Hi paul,i will try and re check that part number for you for the adaptor harness,it may just be a different number in the UK,the part only costs about £3 in the UK.
If not fitted it can cause the M/plex system to go into sleep or eco-mode after a certain amount of time which can mean things like your plip wont work until you operate the lock with the key (this 'wakes' the system back up),every time it is re-locked it will go back to sleep again after a certain amount of time.
I would highly recomend having the original radio (which is an ECU) de-programed with the citroen computer,this could lead to more problems,there are various ECU's in the multiplex networks & they all comunicate with each other.if the radio is missing and the car has not been told it is removed then the BSI & other ECU's will still be trying to comunicate with it.
paulm
My Cars:

Post by paulm »

Thanks for that
It's starting to sound pretty complicated - what's PLIP?? I assume ECU's are "electronic control units"
Is there any documentation anywhere on the multiplexing system? I asked the dealer and all they showed me was the manual for the wiring systems in the car.
Thanks
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sounds a litle techno to me. If the system is like what Vauxhall use in their range you can either buy a comlete unit from the dealer or fit a Sony system and an adaptor lead which costs around £30 here in the UK. I had the older style Xsara VTR with out the seperate display and convereted it to a Sony system using one of their adaptors. On fitting I did notice that the adaptor will allow seperate screen use but you then end up with the display on the stereo and on the screen above. You could always try Philips VDO who do make car audio for this problem and some years ago I up graded to a CD player for my Vauxhall Tigra. I got a Philips unit with no display and fitted it no problems. The units are built with the electronics already fitted so they will recognise your seperate display. Sorry for the long reply.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the plip is the central locking remote,ECU's are electronic controll units.
stuart,the older xsaras did not have the multiplex wiring system so really the only 'problem' with fitting an aftermarket radio to an older xsara was the display.
the problem with getting the manufacturer CD changer is that it will cost 1000 australian dollars,i dont know what that is in UK £ but it still sound expensive.
paulm
My Cars:

Post by paulm »

When was the multiplexing system first used in the Xsara's?. I have heard of a 3rd party wiring loom that can be purchased (in the U.K.) so that another head unit can be operated with the steering controls. I also saw something about a Sony CDX T69 with an adapter that could "interpret" different factory controls???? I think I'll have to con my way into the service bay and get a look at the Citroen computer that sets all these options up. I have another problem with RDS on the current radio. Citroen says it isn't available in Australia - Radio stations say it is and they transmit in limited levels. My guess is that it simply needs to be enabled by the computer and we're away - but the service people just stand around scratching their heads.
I know the french have a reputation for being arrogant and unfriendly - I didn't know it applied to their cars!
Still it's great to drive and if I can figure out everything it can do I'll be a happy man
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It was first used on late mk1 Xsaras around the 86xx R.P. number.I'v heard of these adaptors aswell,i know that sony do them but i dont know if they are compatible with multiplexed systems.
as for the RDS i dont think it can be set by the comptuer,i imagine its to do with either the radio set or the stations,does the set have the RDS logo on it ? what does the handbook say ?
paulm
My Cars:

Post by paulm »

RDS first - The radio does have RDS on it and the handbook describes it's use but that's as far as it goes.
I just got on to a site caraudiodirect.co.uk and found an adapter for the Sony XPLOD CDXT69X that allows connection to the standard Xsara stereo unit - They say it's suitable for Xsasa 2000 onwards (adaptor SOU-CIT01SON)- I've sent them an email and I'll let you know the result. They also have a another adaptor (MAY-PXC9134) that will connect to SONY CDXMP50 So I could replace the current unit with a sony MP3 player, still use the steering controls and with one disc of MP3's, have more music that a 6 stacker!! - That is assuming it works and doesn't upset the Multiplexing system - that's still a major worry as far as I'm concerned
paulm
My Cars:

Post by paulm »

I just got an email from one of the local radio stations re RDS - worth a try!
>>>>>>>>
Hi Paul,

I have recently spoken with another Citroen owner who advises that if
the service agent programs the radio from Asia to Western Europe your
RDS should start working.

Regards,

Richard
>>>>>>>>>
These are the sorts of things the local dealers should know
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Get yo self an MP3 head unit then you won't need a cd stacker!
Ow! Kiss my bad self!
paulm
My Cars:

Post by paulm »

Yesss - thanks Guru, a concise, erudite solution to the problem
I just got a call from the local dealer who have checked and the head unit is indeed a clarion AND I can go to another installer and have a clarion stacker fitted - I assume that they will still need to activate it - I'll let you know what happens
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

The idea of a standard CD changer stacker never was a great one and is now out of date!!! A changer which can play MP3 encoded discs is better but still a lot of work adators can alllow it to play through your head unit, sony being one. you could connect a hard disc based changer from the likes of dension but expensive and hard work. my current favourite solution is an Ipod routed through your original head unit as a cd changer. Loads of music easy access check out ihavetohaveit.it.
Most value can be had by changing speakers .