Alloy refurb.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Alloy refurb.

Post by qprdude »

Having been forced onto the kerb last year, my front nearside alloy took a pasting. Several deep scores around the outside edge of the rim, and a 3-4 inch flat spot where the rim caught the kerb edge.
The tyre was gouged but still legal and safe. I'm thinking of getting it refurbed but there seems to be a huge different in costs from firm to firm. If there is any cracking inside the rim after the tyre comes off, or when the flat spot is dressed out, I can weld it myself, but I need to take the wheel to a refurb place to get the tyre off and get a price. Does anyone have any idea how much it might cost to get one 19 inch rime refurbished?. I have a full sized steel spare with a new tyre so I don't need to leave the car. I seem to remember asking a company(local) for a price to do some wheels on a Jaguar, but I've forgotten what they said, and after I got the quote, I was plagued with Emails from them and other companies for months, hence the reason for asking here before going any further.
A ball park figure would be great. I know Halfords :rofl2: offer "from £40" (£95 for 19") but that would be for a quick cover up job, not the bigger repair that I want. (No, I wouldn't go to Halfords anyway)
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Re: Alloy refurb.

Post by old'uns »

we're probably a little more spoilt for choice down here than where you are, recently had these done, admittedly 13," 2 i had the tyres off myself, the 2nd pair they did it...from memory around £220?
no repairs needed to any of the wheels just a straight dip, blast and coat.

Black Hammerite hand painted...noiiiice :shock:

just for an idea on pricing :
http://www.jpalloys.co.uk/pricing.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Sounds like an OK price. We have around half a dozen places to choose from around Aberdeen, so not too bad. The problem is, the price seems to take a big leap upwards for 19" RIMS.
Rick.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Might be a reflection of market tolerances! A full media strip and powder coat is not going to be cheap if done well.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

£45 a wheel +
good mate of mine does it down here, basic refurb the wheel can go in the acid dip tank, 20 mins and is bare of any paint! :shock: if it needs blasting then thats done too,
most places prefer to do a Pair of wheels as then the sides will match, over an Odd shiny clean one! ;-)
have a look on ebay etc for a replacement used wheel?? may work out cheaper???
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Sounds good. With the repairs prior to refurb, I am thinking around £100.
19" Adriatic on Ebay went for £215. !!!!! (from a place in Lowestoft) That was New. Shudder to think what Citroen would charge.
There is a black 19" Adriatic on Ebay for £180 at the moment, no silver ones.
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I got my 18" wheels done, dipped, blasted and powdercoated for £180 for the 4 in Keith. I got the tyres removed elsewhere for £20, and then refitted with new valves and balanced for £40, so £240 all in for 4. The guys name is Gordon Cruickshank and works in the same place as his fathers business, which is monumental sculpture. I may be able to find a phone number
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Cheers Davie. I think the problem is the repairs required to my wheel. I think most wheel refurbishing place farm the rim out to be dressed and welded then redressed. I know my brothers firm get alloys in from a firm in Aberdeen all the time. He gets a welder to dress out any damage and weld fill major gouges and charges around £20. The refurb company then does the finishing etc.
Ideally, I would like to swop my wheel for the steel spare, take the alloy to them to get the tyre off and a price for the job. I don't know if they would then allow me to take the rim to my brothers place and dress it and weld it then take it back for dipping etc. It's kind of a chicken and egg situation. I don't fancy trying to remove the tyre myself and I'm not sure if they will refit a tyre with a gouge in it. I might just drive in and explain the situation and see what they say. Basically, I don't want them to take the tyre off, take the rim to my brothers firm, me to dress and weld the damage, charge them £20 and then have them add that plus 30% to the cost of the job! (does that make sense?)
Rick.

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Have a look for a local private tyre place fella, they'll pop the tyre off for you for reasonable coin, and wpnt worruy if you come back or not, then you can do the welding etc and take it to the refurbers,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Timmo wrote:Have a look for a local private tyre place fella, they'll pop the tyre off for you for reasonable coin, and wpnt worruy if you come back or not, then you can do the welding etc and take it to the refurbers,
Thats what I would do. Get the tyre off, fix damage then do the dip etc. If the tyre place wont put back on the gouged tyre, get a new one the same and put it and the spare one onto the car in a pair and put the 1/2 worn one thats not gouged onto the steel wheel for the spare.I would think the guy in Keith will do a single wheel, and he is directly across the road from a small tyre shop who will do the tyre stuff for you.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

OK guys. I will get to a tyre place and ask how much to take the tyre off, but I might ask at a refurb place first, just to get their opinion on the repair. No point in me dressing and welding, then not being able to afford the refurbishment. I'm very poor you know!
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Bugger me, looks like it will have to be put on the back burner. SWMBO has just trashed the budget by booking two return flights to Heathrow in early March!
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Why would you want to go to Heathrow?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Ah well, here's the thing. We usually drive, but as this is a short visit, SWMBO decided that sitting in the car for 22 hours (return) is not on. Our daughter lives in Horsell, just outside Woking and we visit a few times a year, but usually for at least two weeks. That makes the car journey manageable (for SWIMBO). I offered to drive down on Wednesday and back on Sunday but I was over-ruled, which is by no means unusual.
To get back to your original query, I don't really want to go to Heathrow, but try as I might, I cannot convince B.A. to drop us off by Horsell high street. :wink:
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Do you park at the airport whilst away? Only asking because my last workplace, and where I shall go back to if I ever do get back, is Aberdeen Airpark and are really good value. Probably for just a few days cheaper than a taxi there and back, and your car will be started and heater on all ready for your return. And, no I'm nae on a commission :lol: :lol:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2