C5 2001 2.0HDI 118k - SUSPENSION PROBLEM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jeff
My Cars:

C5 2001 2.0HDI 118k - SUSPENSION PROBLEM

Post by Jeff »

For a while now I have noticed the suspension is hard and unforgiving going over all road conditions and a very poor ride by Citroen standards. Couple of things may contribute to this - a return pipe on a front strut split and maybe air got in the system (?) and when I have topped up the LDS reservoir I put the cap back on with the suspension on its lowest setting. Could these be contributing to the bad ride or what else should I look at? When I move the suspension through all the ride height settings it responds and works fine and when its on its lowest setting the LDS fluid is midway between max and min. Tomorrow I will put the car on its normal setting and remove and replace the reservoir cap...as I read somewhere this may help... I am hoping its not just worn out spheres.

Any thoughts or idea's please? Thanks for advice.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 2001 2.0HDI 118k - SUSPENSION PROBLEM

Post by Peter.N. »

If the ride height is correct it can only be that the spheres need replacing unless the radius arm bearings are seized which would make the rear hard. If you bounce each corner of the car with the suspension at normal height you should have about 4"-6" of movement, possibly more at the rear.

Peter
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

We have changed a dozen or so C5 spheres over the years, they seem to last almost forever, but you do get the odd ones that go. Doesn't seem to be age related, have changed a few on low mile quite new cars.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had to change all mine last year as the movement was quite restricted but after having done so I found the radius arm bearings had disintegrated, having replaced those the ride was much better. It has done nearly 200,000 miles though.

Peter