Activa article on Pistonheads forum

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Re: Activa article on Pistonheads forum

Post by DHallworth »

It might be but it still wouldn't be a smooth and have the effortless power delivery of a 6 cylinder.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'm not convinced. I've had a V6 and 2 Activas. The V6 only comes alive over 4krpm, I preffered the low down grunt of the TCT. I should think 200bhp or more is achieveable easily enough and I love the growl of a well set up turbo-4. I'm biased really. I love anything with a turbo and lots of boost.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Manual v6 or Auto Mike ?

If auto don't forget the slush box tends to unlock the torque converter when you put your foot down at low rpm, decoupling the engine from the road and loosing the instant response. One of the main reasons the engine "comes alive" over 4000 rpm on the auto is the gearbox goes into full torque converter lockup over about 3500 rpm. (No reason for torque multiplication if you're already at or above peak torque rpm...) Full lockup makes it feel responsive like a manual.

Particularly noticeable on mine in 1st in sport mode, bring it up to 3000-3500 rpm and hold it there for a couple of seconds while the ECU decides to lock up then floor it - it responds just like a manual. :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Agree'd on the nonsense some people posted up on there, that guy on about removing heat shields to replace a clutch clip - must be a moron!!

My only worry with an article like that is someone buying one on a whim, abusing it, and there being one less on the roads. Not that I can talk after destroying my own one :cry:
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

At least you were using your Activa for what it was made for, Dommo, being driven ( :twisted: ) not driving it just to re-inforce your own anti-Citroen prejudices.

Go on, tell us. How does the Soarer compare?

As for a need for a turbo on an Activa, you could always bolt on the twin turbo conversion to the V6, then you've got the best of both worlds. You'd then get the problem of driveshafts being eaten by too much power. :rofl2: :-D 8-[

Having driven both the auto V6 & the manual transmission V6 Activa, I know where my afinities lie. The auto box makes for comfort driving, but the manual transmission does make the car into a real beast. :twisted: :oops: =D>

Did you know the Deutsche Polizei nicknamed the V6 Activa 'The Bank Robbers Car' as they could never catch them! [-X :^o

If you want to change the characteristics of the CT engine bolting on a hybrid turbo with a larger inlet impeller does make a difference. I had it on one of my Activas that got fried. You would be wise not to get it above 200BHP as the pistons are known to lose their heads above that. Better fitting a set of forged Mahle pistons if you really want to go mad & spend lots of money.
H
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

That's true, however I only crashed the thing because I hadn't yet fitted my decent tyres (which were waiting to go on that weekend!!) and aquaplaned off the road - not cornering, but while braking to stop behind a C1/107 (little thing with no weight managed to stop on a dime, I however didn't!). So you can probably understand how annoyed with myself I was about that...

Regarding the Soarer however... Hahaaa... That.. Is STILL work in progress, I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the brakes and fitting Goodridge braided hoses to it. It's had a new exhaust system as the old one decided to blow a perfectly 1" square hole in it just after the cat when I tested it up and down the road. The brake was seized on when I took it for it's first MOT the other day, so I turned around and drove it straight home again and cancelled the MOT. I then went on a weeks skiing holiday so today was the first weekday since the failed journey for it's MOT. I now have the seal kit, one piston (2 piston brakes, one of which is pitted as hell due to the missing dust seal and ruined oil seal - which explains why it was seized! Piston cost £23 plus VAT, seal kit (can only get a kit for both front brakes - probably a good thing) costs about £70 plus VAT, and the goodridge hoses cost £87 including VAT. An expensive day, but the brakes will be so much better for it. I hope to get it MOT'd after the brakes are sorted. Then I need to work out with the traction control system doesn't work.. And then sort the paintwork.. And work out why the headlight fills up with water (is that an MOT fail??).

Fun and games ;)
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

DHallworth wrote:I have a lovely 50k mile Activa and every single part that I need to convert mine to an Activa V6 including a V6 Xantia for parts.

Ally, you're just across the Erskine Bridge from me so if you wanted to experience the Activa you're welcome to have a run in mine. However, it's currently hiding from the weather and the salt and won't be back on the road again now until April, possibly May, weather depending.

David.
That would be most welcome David! I'd love to see what these are all about.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

They are hilarious fun. I'm quite sad that mine got bent and sold after. It was pretty much spot on before it had an incident with a gate post.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Good to see the Activa getting some recent press :-D

I'm looking forward to March when my Activa will be back in use, its in hibernation at the moment.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10