You can tell its winter when...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

You can tell its winter when...

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi guys now that winter has arrived i thought i would actually investigate why my drivers heated seat does not work. After unbolting the seat and waving a multimeter at the various connectors i have confirmed an open circuit in the heating element.
My questions are these,

In which order and how do I remove the leather seat covers to identify exactly where the break is?

And as these elements are renowned for being unreliable (and very expensive) can I replace them with similar from say a Ford mondeo?

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: You can tell its winter when...

Post by Ben82 »

Hi Mate,
Have emailed you with the seat trim removal stuff from docbackup :) Hopefully it helps. I assume docbackup still isn't working for you?
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I got mine from a comparatively low mileage car but they don't work either but I decided I didn't need the hassle so have ignored it. You can get some heated seat covers from ebay, don't know wheat they are like but it might be a cheap option.

Peter
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi Ben thanks for the email n will look at it tonight when I get home. No unfortunately that patch still does not work despite me removing it/restarting pc then adding it again etc. very strange but then so is the car its meant to help! ;-)

Hi Peter, I think we have had same idea cos i was concerned about fixing the original then having it fail again so found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/heated-seat-element" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For £45 I can have a brand new heated seat element with 5 settings and a 2 year guarentee. All I need to to is remove the seat and carefully take it apart, replacing the element and recovering with original leather trim. I've found a few turorials on Utube and whole process if done carefully should not take longer than a day. As this is a common fault I plan on taking step by step photos and posting them on this site for others. I'm ordering the seat element in a week or 2 and plan on doing the job after half term as i need car to ferry grumpy teenager about ;-)
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Not seen those before, sounds pretty good. I will wait until you have done yours. :-D

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

this may help

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=46184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Stickyfinger wrote:this may help

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=46184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Sticky thats helpful :-)