Xantia clutch cable clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rs1800

Post by rs1800 »

Thx everyone who offered advise here. I finally did it yesterday! only took 5 weeks lol.
I still have one problem though. I dont know where the brake cannister goes. I am sure I removed it from behind the brake pedal but it wont go back in the hole. The open end fits on to the floor and the solid end lines up with pedal but thats not right is it?
cheers
Howard
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Open end? Do you mean the end with the push rod coming out? The opposite end to the push rod fits into a tube inside the channel of the pedal. You have to get it lined up before it will go in, and you may need to compress the push rod a bit first to get it in.
Getting it out is easy. All you have to do is slide a flat blade screwdriver up inside the channel of the pedal and you can ease it out.
And removing the spring and replacing it with something solid is the best mod you can do to a Xantia.
rs1800

Post by rs1800 »

Are you sure you mean the opposite end? I have the solid end pressing on the floor bit.
I have managed to get the 'open' end into the back of the pedal by cutting 4 slots into it so i can reduce the diamiter. It is still quite tight and the brakes work bit I am not 100% sure it is safe in case it breaks due to the slots I cut.
Someone else said they cut slots to get it in which gave me the idea.
Do you all think it will be ok?
cheers
rs1800

Post by rs1800 »

btt
can anyone comment plse? im still worried.
cheers
rs1800

Post by rs1800 »

I still have one last question if anyone can help please. Scince I did this job the clutch pedal seems a bit higher even though I didnt touch the nut at the clutch end and the replacement part seemed an exact copy (although diff colour).
Could I have done something wrong or does it just need adjusting. If so is there a way to do this or shall I just undo the nut at cluch end till it feels about right?
cheers
benewson

Post by benewson »

Having become fed up with several clutch clip changes I replaced the plastic version cable link with an all metal peugeot 405 link. It had to be modified slightly as did the nipple on the clutch cable.
A bit of a bodge but the mod gave a much enhanced feeling of confidence when using the clutch.
If anyone is interested I have a photo of the mod posted at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/b.newson/repairs/