Adjusting Xantia TD Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Adjusting Xantia TD Clutch

Post by Kowalski »

My '97 Xantia TD (pre-facelift) doesn't seem to have any means for adjusting the length of the clutch cable. The earlier one ('94) had a couple of nuts on the end of the cable but the newer one doesn't have this.
The newer one has a "return spring" on the pedal end that the '94 one didn't have. The reason I want to adjust my clutch is that when you press down the pedal, the first inch or so of travel is against the return spring (i.e. slack in the cable) before you start to pick up the clutch. Although the clutch doesn't drag, its bite point is lower than I'd like it to be, ideally I'd like to get rid of that first 'inch' of slack.
I've bought the Haynes book-o-lies that covers up to '96 when it was obviously changed and I don't really want to buy a new Haynes manual when the one I have covers most of the car...
Any ideas, anyone?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yes, check Dave Burn's very complete comment on different types of Xantia clutch cable from a few weeks ago.
//NiSk
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Well, I've trawled the forum and seem to have found out the following.
Xantias come with two types of clutch cable, one self adjusting one not, it would appear that mine is a self adjusting type. If that is the case, and it is "out of adjustment" does that mean it's new clutch cable time? Do the auto adjustment mechanisms stick / break or do they simply run out of adjustment?
Any ideas on how to force an auto adjusting cable to adjust when it doesn't want to? I saw that one trick a Xsara owner had done was to put some extra washers on the cable to shorten it, is this practical / reliable?
Any advice would be appreciated...
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You might try getting (safely) under and yanking the cable away from the adjuster unit on the pedal side run of the cable, then try the pedal.
If its no better then I doubt a new cable will make much difference, are you sure it is complete slack and not the three rubber cushions at the ends of the cable compressing slightly, as they are meant to.
You might want to get a pedal and spring from a scrapper and fit a manualy adjusting cable instead.
Dave