Oil Extractor Pump - C5 2.0 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jeff
My Cars:

Oil Extractor Pump - C5 2.0 HDI

Post by Jeff »

I know there are those that dont like using the dipstick method of oil extraction (this method divides opinions) but last weekend when removing the sump bolt from my 2001 C5 I found sump thread removed by the bolt and when I replaced I did so very gingerly and felt the sump pans thread has seen better days.

So, this weekend I made up my own pump using a redundant 6lt weed sprayer. Took a bit of tinkering to reverse the sprayers pump action from pressure to vacuum but it worked well on water today and probably try oil change on my fathers car in the next couple of weeks. I have read its very important to have the engine oil warmed up and for the front of the car to be slightly lower than the back so oil runs to the dipstick area.

Has anyone made one of these or used one on a C5, hopefully an older model like mine. At the moment I am unsure on the extraction pipe diameter thats best, whether it needs reinforced or just rigid pipe (as the oil will be hot and the pipe cannot collapse) and also hoping there's no baffle arrangement in the sump.

Thanks for any help.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Oil Extractor Pump - C5 2.0 HDI

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

While I cannot speak for your kit, it is not uncommon for similar equipment to be used on narrow boats where access to the sump bolt is somewhat limited. I have seen it in use, but you try jacking up a narrow boat to improve the oil flow!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I've used a Sealey sucky-pump thing on my Berlingo and last C5 HDi with no issues. Last time I drained it via the sump plug as I'd inadvertently filled it with manky old oil in the dark though. Used the sucky pump thing on a Renault 4 engine just last week, got all the oil out no problem.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: I have seen it in use, but you try jacking up a narrow boat to improve the oil flow!
Sit a Fat Bird on the other end ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Although the dipstick is on the front of the engine on the C5 2.0 HDI it actually dips in the oil at the back, the tube it passes down is a sort of swan neck shape and the dipstick is flexible,
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

My sucky pump thing has a selection of flexible hard plastic pipes that fit down the dipstick hole. I'll take a picture later when I'm at home.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Northern_Mike wrote:My sucky pump thing has a selection of flexible hard plastic pipes that fit down the dipstick hole. I'll take a picture later when I'm at home.

What would the problem be with filling the sump to just under the bearings with a "cleaner" fluid such as petrol VIA the dipstick, then fill - drain - fill...to flush it ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

So parking the car facing downwards on a slope is the wrong thing to do?
Last edited by Jeff on 27 Jan 2014, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:My sucky pump thing has a selection of flexible hard plastic pipes that fit down the dipstick hole. I'll take a picture later when I'm at home.

What would the problem be with filling the sump to just under the bearings with a "cleaner" fluid such as petrol VIA the dipstick, then fill - drain - fill...to flush it ?
Well the theory with engine flush is that it gets pumped round the oilways and cleans out the crud. I'm still sceptical of it but I whizzed some in the 3-wheeler as it hasn't had an oil change in 8 years. Whether it pulled out any crud I've no idea.

I wouldn't start a car with a sump full of petrol, so it wouldn't get round the engine.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Jeff wrote:So parking the car facing downwards on a sloop is the wrong thing to do?
Yes. Park it on the flat.

Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Would it help the oil run to the back of the sump by parking the car facing up a slight slope then?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Probably not. On Gracie the sump plug is already at the lowest point of the engine.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!