Saxo Mot fail- faulty lambda sensor?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Re: Saxo Mot fail- faulty lambda sensor?

Post by isisalar »

Thanks again chaps, putting those no's in produced all sorts of results, GSF came up with a air freshener!
It seems I must have a very special type of sensor. The site that Malcolm posted up who look very professional want £103 for my downstream one. If I can get a 15% discount from Quickco for an OE one that would come in at £143, very tempting.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Hi guys
Just to say thanks again for the advice. In the event my local motor factors came good with a NKT sensor from stock for £115, £12 more than from Lambdapower but not 200 miles away either. Got it fitted, and the EML started flashing, which I was told was a good sign, and sure enough after a bit of running around the light went out and the car passed the emissions test with flying colours.
The old sensor supplied by Jaystock, branded 'Fuelparts' has been returned and I'm awaiting the verdict for a refund. I suspect it's a cheapie as it did work, but only for a day. I've used Jaystock for years and have had no cause for complaint up to now so we'll see how they handle this.
I'll let you know.
The motor factors, these chaps :- http://www.lmsspares.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have been trading in north London for years and I'm sure most 'locals' know of them. Something that is not generally known is that their Wembley branch ( which used to be known as Midnight motors) is open until 10pm, 7 days a week, very useful when you've cocked up a weekend repair.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

isisalar wrote: Done a bit of searching and those part no's don't seem to match up with the vehicle I'm afraid
Cheers
Paul
thats most odd as they are the correct OE part No.'s for your car from service citroen
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I never for a moment thought they'd be incorrect Malcolm, but what I did discover was that most of the suppliers don't 'do' original part no's as far as I could see, preferring to go by the reg.no. Lamdapower had the option to search by part no. but not the rest.
The weird thing was the GSF site threw up a Saxo specific air freshener!!!!
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

aaah

i dont usually purchase parts via an internet search with the likes of GSF,

i just call my local branch who can and do cross ref OE No.'s,

as do all the local factors i deal with do/can
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I can only recommend TecDoc. Saves much guessing for parts crosses.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

isisalar wrote:I never for a moment thought they'd be incorrect Malcolm, but what I did discover was that most of the suppliers don't 'do' original part no's as far as I could see, preferring to go by the reg.no. Lamdapower had the option to search by part no. but not the rest.
I emailed back and forth a number of times with the guy at Lambda power last week to see about getting the correct oxygen sensor for my V6 - the one I put in last year (from an ebay seller) is definitely the wrong one, wrong colour plug (black instead of brown - identity bump on the wrong side that had to be shaved off to make it fit) and heater resistance too high. (6 ohms instead of 3.3) It doesn't warm up properly and may be a contributor to the intermittent engine performance I've been seeing.

I wanted to be really sure that he could supply me the genuine OEM type - he lists both based on car model and year (LP-54255 for my 1998 V6) and original Citroen OEM part number - 1628 8Z (LC-71036 was his part number for this) and he confirmed that his two listings map to the same Bosch part number. He had also looked up the OEM part number in Citroen Service Box to confirm the correct type and says that he buys the sensors directly from Bosch. The "direct fit" type (£83 for mine) is the exact OEM type direct from Bosch. The generic one for $43 is also a Bosch sensor but a near match (with no plug) rather than the exact type.

Next month I will be buying the direct fit sensor from Lambda power, and thumbs up to them for going to the trouble of replying to several long emails of mine and being very knowledgeable and thorough in the responses! Seems like somewhere that you CAN buy a genuine OEM sensor for significantly less than dealer prices and be sure of what you got. (Nearly £60 cheaper than the Citroen price, even for the direct fit type :shock: )

Buying an oxygen sensor on ebay seems like a real minefield - despite my best efforts last year to get the right one (I paid £65 for it, not a £25 cheapy) I was still duped. I suspect a lot of sellers are simply selling "near enough" sensors that are low quality and/or may cause subtle running faults or just not last.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I remember seeing an item on TV a long time back about car parts and prices. There was one company who made BMW injector pumps (for BMW). If they sold the pump in their own packaging it went for £900, while the same pump in BMW packaging sold for £1,500. There was no other difference between the pumps, just the packaging.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

BMW have never been shy of charging outrageous prices for their parts etc. I worked for a BMW dealer in the late 80's and at that time the difference in price, new, between a 316i and a 318i was £1000. The only mechanical difference between the two was the length of the con rods. Spec identical.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white