C5 possible damage???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ggonline

C5 possible damage???

Post by ggonline »

Hi Guys,

Stationary on the motorway today and the car behind hit my C5 estate, guessing it was going between 5-15mph, some damage to there front bumper.

They have basically hit my tow bar which I use for towing my caravan.

Would this need to be replaced, is it likely there could unseen damage underneath?

My car is a 2002 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE estate.

Thanks
markt1
My Cars:

Re: C5 possible damage???

Post by markt1 »

Hello
I suspect the tow bar and what it is mounted to will be fine but I would get it inspected all the same and if the insurance is involved they will check it out so I would not even crawl under to have a look just tell them to check it, hope everyone was ok
Cheers Mark
Dispatch owner going grey.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

In my experience towbars (on a Xantia and Volvo 340) can take a substantial whack without doing any damage at all underneath. The C5 being stronger than a Xantia.. I'd get it checked out but I'd be surprised if anything has been damaged.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
ggonline

Post by ggonline »

Thanks for the advice guys, looking for somewhere to take it at the mo, as I took it to the local citroen dealer earlier who advised "we don't do bodywork, but here's the number of a company that fit tow bars."
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Not very helpful then. I concur that you may have no damage at all. When someone ploughed into the back of my Xantia with tow bar their little car was almost certainly written off. The Xantia however sustained no damage at all.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

ggonline wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, looking for somewhere to take it at the mo, as I took it to the local citroen dealer earlier who advised "we don't do bodywork, but here's the number of a company that fit tow bars."
And Citroen wonder why their dealers have a bad reputation.... it'd take them all of 5 minutes to whizz it on a ramp and check for floor damage or bent rails where the bar fits on, and you might have been tempted to go back again because they were helpful. You'll not now though...

Whereabouts are you?

markt1
My Cars:

Post by markt1 »

ggonline wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, looking for somewhere to take it at the mo, as I took it to the local citroen dealer earlier who advised "we don't do bodywork, but here's the number of a company that fit tow bars."
Where do you live im in the bodywork dept and have a few contacts around here
Cheers Mark
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Agree. Unlikely for a plastic bumper to damage a steel tow-bar framework. It probably gets a lot more bumps under normal towing so it's designed to take a bit of punishment.
Surprised that the "Citroen" dealer didn't recommend a body shop locally, as they must deal with someone for their customers. Simply saying "We don't do bodywork" is not an option. I would be writing to the manager to ask exactly what he/she considers to be reasonable customer service.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
ggonline

Post by ggonline »

I live in Warrington, but was in Wigan today, so went to BCC Citroen in Wigan.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Are you ever up in Lancs near Blackburn or Accy?

ggonline

Post by ggonline »

Not really, I have spoken to the insurance and they have instructed the local ford garage to take a look, so I'll have to wait and see.
markt1
My Cars:

Post by markt1 »

Too far from me then