Heater/Blower & Running Temperature C5 VTR+ Nav 2009

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

see5

Heater/Blower & Running Temperature C5 VTR+ Nav 2009

Post by see5 »

I'm new to this forum having just bought a 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ Nav 2 Litre (2009 plate with 66,000 miles) so am seeking a bit of advice/information on the vehicle which is quite different to the C5 VTR 2L (2004 plate) I previously owned and loved. Have tried 'Search' for my questions but have drawn a blank.

Firstly (and probably a simple/stupid question for anyone owing this model). I am wondering what is 'Normal' when engine has reached operating temperature. The Owners handbook talks about 'Normal' temperature for both being within 'Zone A' which seems to be displaying [][][][][] (5 bars) for both Oil & Water. My car is displaying [][][][][][][] (7 bars) for both when it has reached operating temperature (when I have driven about 5 miles). Does this sound right?

My second question is about the Heater/Blower. Took the car out the night after buying it and, as there was mist on the windscreen I tried to turn the fan up full (this used to demist the screen almost instantaneously in my previous C5 and the fan was VERY audible) but there was no sound of a fan whatsoever and the screen did not demist (even though I depressed the 'front demist' switch which lit up). Would I be right to assume that I should be able to hear the blower fan and that it is probably not functioning? If so, does anyone have any idea of the likely cause?

Would be very grateful for any thoughts you have on these points. Many thanks in advance.
Citroen C5 VTR+ Nav (2009) 1997cc Black
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Heater/Blower & Running Temperature C5 VTR+ Nav 2009

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Welcome aboard, but as I have no knowledge of the C5, I cannot offer any advise. Somebody will come along who can though.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
see5

Post by see5 »

Thanks for the welcome James.
Erik
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome Eric,
I have no experience or knowledge of the C5 X7 but regarding the fan, my best guess is that the fan control module has turned it's toes up.
I have replaced one and the current one fell out recently - whoever fitted it didn't secure it. The main feed wires burned through. I did a bodgy fix on it and the fans are immediately better than they have been since purchasing the car, indicating that these wires were not all they should have been before I bodged them.

Can't offer any thoughts on the engine temperature indicators though.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

My experience with the 2.0 HDi engine ... didn't count the exact segments for the coolant temperature (left) & engine oil temperature (right), but when driving for 2-3 hours, both are at most on the half (or +2 segment blocks to the right from the center) of the total width ... I don't think you should worry unless the segments go into the warning zone (the bottom line is thicker where those segments lit up) ...

As for the windscreen blower, mine works almost immediately, when the front demist is switched on ... did you open the windscreen fan (on the top dashboard part)? I'm not sure if the windscreen has a separate fan (I doubt it has), but if what you say is true, than it shouldn't be able to blow at full when the demist is off as well ... I had a slightly similar problem on my previous Xsara with the fan not working (rotor/stator brushes were worn off, and couldn't turn the fan anymore, so sometimes it worked, sometimes not) ... but, Like I've said, wither everything was blowing, or nothing was blowing,there wasn't an occurrence when the regular cooling/heating could be felt (fan working) and that it wouldn't work for the front demisting ... does your air conditioning work? Maybe you're out of AC gas, and it the car doesn't turn on the unit ... but, the fans should still work, with or without the AC ... See if my post helped you to try some more possibilities, so we can try too pinpoint what exactly happens, and when ...
see5

Post by see5 »

vborovic wrote:My experience with the 2.0 HDi engine ... didn't count the exact segments for the coolant temperature (left) & engine oil temperature (right), but when driving for 2-3 hours, both are at most on the half (or +2 segment blocks to the right from the center) of the total width ... I don't think you should worry unless the segments go into the warning zone (the bottom line is thicker where those segments lit up) ...

As for the windscreen blower, mine works almost immediately, when the front demist is switched on ... did you open the windscreen fan (on the top dashboard part)? I'm not sure if the windscreen has a separate fan (I doubt it has), but if what you say is true, than it shouldn't be able to blow at full when the demist is off as well ... ...
Thanks for the replies people. I feel OK about the temperature in view of this reply and a picture someone posted elsewhere of the display in their car in which temperatures look similar to mine.

I did open the windscreen fan on top of the dash. In fact, I tried it in both positions as I was unsure which position was open :? to no effect. The interior of the car does not seem to warm up at all (even with temperature set to 'HI') and I can feel no air coming out of the vents. Neither can I hear a fan which I assume I should? Think I will pop the car back to the garage tomorrow and see what they have to say. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Regards.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

The vent on top of dash is the soft air diffusion. Keeps you the right temp without drafts allegedly. There are more hole pointing at the windscreen.
When I press demist the loudness happens straight away. And clearing depends on how cold and damp the air is.
Warm air should come out the vents quite soon. Gentle warm air I'm less than a mile I think.

Engine temp varies. The left one (water) is 5 or 6 blobs once warm. The right one is 5 or 6 but will hit 7 sometimes. I assume it's usually doing a regen then as often if I get out the rear windscreen is warm.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
see5

Post by see5 »

Thanks Mooseshaver, that's confirmed my view of things.