ZX Heater Matrix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andrew Robey
My Cars:

ZX Heater Matrix

Post by Andrew Robey »

Just bought a '92 ZX 1.9D and one week in it is overheating drastically and coolant all over passenger footwell.
I'm guessing heater matrix, but would like this confirmed as not everyone thinks this should pour coolant into the car...?
Is it really best to get a garage to do the work?
Thanks,
Andy
[?]
Dunc55

Post by Dunc55 »

Hmm did this myself last weekend and it is a pig of a job. A garage will charge 7 hours minimum, The entire dash has to come off. And then you have to refit it while making sure all the wiring is not trapped and connected corectly. I managed to have an instrument panel illumination problem after doing mine - still not fixed - looks like bulbs have gone but fuse has not !
Also the dash doesn't quite fit the way it used to. If you do it yourself if you are good - you could - just do it in a day ! MAke sure you have all your star bolt (torq) sockets handy - 20,25 and 30 !
Dunc55

Post by Dunc55 »

Forgot to say - yes sounds very much like heater matrix - the matrix does sit in the passenger compartment - so if it leaks then you will get water/antifreeze in the heater then onto the floor. When the matrix went - did you have the heater fan on the windscreen. I did and it suddenly covers the windscreen with steam - ring any bells ?
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

My heater has been smelling of anti frezze for the last three years. When replacing it do you have to take the steering column off, or can you leave it. it says you have to in the haynes manual. Personally ill leave uptil it goes pop all over the floor.
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

Thanks - will give it a go this weekend. Anything major to watch out for?
Anyone know of a tempory fix - maybe bypass the matrix, to keep the car running?
Andy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andy -
Bypassing the matrix is dead easy -
Your only problem is access to the 2 hoses running to/fro the matrix. Simply connect these 2 together with a suitable piece of tubing - at any point you find practical & easy to access.
This might be behind engine or in-cabin - where ever you find it easy.
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

I take it these are the two hoses dissapearing into the bulkhead together, just behind the engine?
Am waiting for my haynes - what's the flush out/refill/bleed procedure?
[xx(]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Yep, those are the hoses. Boy, does it get cold without any heater!
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

I done a matrix 2 weeks ago on my td zx, and it was not easy but it was not as hard as i thought. The steering colomn didnt have to be removed and when i put everything back it all worked correctly.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Don't want to cause undue alarm, but check to see why it is overheating in case the overheating is causing a pressure build up in the system & causing a matrix to leak which wouldn't leak under normal pressure.
Alan S
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

Thanks Alan - any suggestions of what to check & how?
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

Heater matrix now in and working.
For anyone contemplating doing this, my advice is to go for it - it's time consuming (took me about 10 hours including flushing the system), but assuming you know one end of a screwdriver (or torx driver!) from the other, it's not difficult. Don't bother trying to do it with the steering column in place though - only takes about 10 mins in and 10 mins out, and it makes a big difference. You will need a torque wrench to refit it 13ft/lb mounting bolts & 18ft/lb U/J bolt).
Thanks to all those who gave advice.[:D]