C5 handbrake cable guide

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Duracell
My Cars:

C5 handbrake cable guide

Post by Duracell »

Can anybody enlighten me on what needs to be removed to remove and replace the left hand handbrake guide on a 2003 C5 - it looks to me as if the rear wishbone bush may need to come out of the way, but I don't want to go down that line if its not necessary. I've got access to the guide all the way along and its all free but need to know the best way to get it out of the jumble of pipework under there.

Thanks

Richard
Jeff
My Cars:

Re: C5 handbrake cable guide

Post by Jeff »

Is the handbrake guide not going to the front caliper?
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
Tully

Post by Tully »

When my C5 needed work on the handbrake to pass the MOT, the mechanic said the handbrake works the front brakes, not the rear.
Craig

C5 2.2 hdi exclusive semi-auto
Seat Alhambra 1.9 tdi (Cavey-mobile)
GPZ750R modified (for sale)
Missing my Saab 9-3
Duracell
My Cars:

Post by Duracell »

The handbrake does operate on the front - when I said the rear wishbone bush I meant the bush at the rear of the wishbone, which is part of the front suspension - the rear suspension does not have a wishbone, it has a trailing arm. Sorry if I was not clear.

Regards

Richard
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

When I had mine done the mechanic did say it was a pig of a job. Heatshields had to be removed but no mention of ant suspension components.
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

I borrowed a friends garage ramp when I changed the guides on mine. You dont have to remove the exhaust / heatshield, its fiddly but you only need to slacken off two bolts, lower the cross member that in turns allows you to move the heat shield a bit allowing just enough room to remove and replace the guide tubes. I did it after reading on this forum someone else did it outside their house, which I would probably do if there's a next time but it is fiddly even up on a ramp.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate