New car few Questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

New car few Questions

Post by rossnunn »

Just bought another ZX not the volcane I wanted but a N reg Elation cost me £300 so im not going to conplain!!
It has some strange stuff tho. It has volcane type bupers & power steering but no electrics not even the passangers mirror!! (except the sunroof). Does anyone know if like the Xantia the main loom behind the dash has the plugs on for the electric windows and I just need to plug in a loom form it to the switch etc??
Also It seems to be overheating, The temp light is on with the guage reading just over the half way mark. Any suggestions?
It has oads of coolant
Thanks
Ross
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Is it a diesel or a petrol engined zx
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

1.4i Petrol [8)]
Ross [:o)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If you've got windy-wind window handles, you'll need to pick up a set of electric window winder mechanisms from the breakers as well.
//NiSk
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yeh I know - just wondering if the main loom behind the dash has got the plugs on for the ancilieries.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

As far as the temp light goes, I'd just check that the sensor is currently connected: some sensors will bring up a continuous light if disconnected/shorted. If it's on all the time you could also have a short or break somewhere along the way to the light. The temp sensor, circuit or gauge could be malfunctioning too. I don't know where the sensors are located on a TU engine - somebody else can probably advise.
If the light only comes on after a while, then it's switching, but you need to find out if it's switching at the correct temp.
You could either replace with a new sensor (not too much cash, I seem to remember) or boil up in water if you have a suitable thermometer and test rig to check when it's switching.
Either way, I'd not run it too much until you can satisfy yourself whether it's a sensor problem or a real overheating problem.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

The temp sensors are on the left hand side of the cylinder head i.e. passenger side of car when looking at it from the front. There are two one for the ecu and one for the gauge. However if the temp gauge is reading normally then I doubt that sensor will be at fault.
DLM SAYS THE FOLLOWING: Either way, I'd not run it too much until you can satisfy yourself whether it's a sensor problem or a real overheating problem.
I would take this comment seriously so that you can afford any engine damage as result of the overheating, as the TU engine is a alloy engine and they dont like excessive heat whcih tends to make the cylinder head and block to warp in serious overheating situations.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

thanks for all your help lads, It's a little dark now but will check the sensor in the morning.
I have just drove it back form Manchester to Lincolnshire (approx 2 hours). It was ok until i filled up outside Manchester then it came on and the temp guage rose to between one and two notches over the half way mark. As soon as it came up I pulled over and checked the water, this was warm but not hot and it has coolant in it (tasty!). I then felt the rad this too felt warm but not hot, as did all the surrounding pipes. So I took a chance, put the blowers on full reheat and opened the roof! I can say that the heater is quite good in that & i've lost almost a stone! lol I check everything again about and hour in and again it was warm but not hot. When I arrived back I let it cool and checked the water and it had'nt seemed to use a drop!! I span the fan and it is free, but have yet to see if it runs, I don't remeber it running on the way back though... I'm not planning to use is just yet tho - the altinator belt has a nice looking crack down its middle so will be changing this and the cam belt while in there.
Anyone shead any light on the wiring??? Also fund that soemone has cut off the ISO plug for the stereo and left soome of the wires - bare in the hole (along with a radio11)
Thnkas
Ross