Citroen dispatch starter motor fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Engtech
New User

Citroen dispatch starter motor fault

Post by Engtech »

Hi
Can any of you learned guys help with a fault that has developed on my 2008 dispatch 2.0 hdi. The starter motor will not turn over the engine when using the ignition key, nothing there at all. My initial thought were the starter motor had packed in but if I disconnect the auxiliary wire to the starter motor (the thinnest wire) and then run a wire from the starter motor solenoid terminal straight to the positive terminal on the battery with the ignition turned on. The starter motor starts the engine and the van will run as normal.
I would appear that I am not getting a 12v feed down the starter motor solenoid feed when trying to start on the ignition key
Are there any starting relays fuses etc that I could check and if so any idea where they are fitted
The fact that I can start the van with a direct feed from the battery proves to me that the starter motor and immobiliser are working ok, but I may be wrong
Thanks
Engtech
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Citroën dispatch starter motor fault

Post by Peter.N. »

The first thing to check is the ignition switch, if you have power from there a wiring fault is most probable, or you could fit a push button starter on the dashboard - like my 1954 Hillman Minx :-D

Peter
Kal13
My Cars: Dispatch van

Re: Citroen dispatch starter motor fault

Post by Kal13 »

Sorry wrong post
Last edited by Kal13 on 16 Nov 2020, 18:30, edited 2 times in total.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Citroen dispatch starter motor fault

Post by white exec »

If the fault is the same as Engtech describes, then Peter is right: the fault is with the IGN switch.
The starter solenoid (which triggers the main starter motor windings) itself takes around 25A, and not all IGN switches survive this, long term.
Two solutions, without fitting a new IGN switch (itself expensive and not an easy job):
- install a press-to-start switch between batt+ and the starter motor small connection, as Peter suggests;
- install a relay (a 40 or 80A one preferred) in the same wire; IGN switch turns on relay, relay brings batt+ to s/motor.
Good few folk have done the latter. It gives the IGN sw an easy life.
Chris