Battery question again,

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Battery question again,

Post by qprdude »

Decided to bite the bullet and fork out for a new battery on my C5 2.2 HDI X7 (2008). Bit of advice would be most welcome.

I'm fed up with "economy mode" being almost permanently on with the engine stopped.

At the minute, I have an ancient trickle charger connected, with the battery still in situ and the terminals still connected to the car. Am I risking anything? (I started the car this morning but it was a real struggle. After stopping it, it wouldn't start again)

Unfortunately, I put my back out doing some plumbing last weekend, and I'm living on Diazapam and Ibuprofen. No way could I lift the battery out, I can't even open the bonnet without SWIMBO's help.
I have measured the battery approximately and got:- Length 275mm. Width, 165mm and height 186mm (without terminals).
The battery, original I suspect, is a Varta 12V L3 450/720A EN.
I would be really grateful if anyone could explain what the numbers and figures mean, where I might get a replacement quickly, likely cost and any problems with changing it over, as I will probably either have to call someone out, or get it started and take it to the local Halfords or Autoparts. (unfortunately.)
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Battery question again,

Post by RichardW »

Your local factors (a busy one!) will be best. I got a 'Starting Bull' for our C4 Picasso last winter for about £60 - about half what Halfords wanted. No, I'd never heard of them either, but it appearsto be an Austrian outift that's well regarded. It is 750 CCA and spins over the C4 nicely! I would go for the best CCA (cold cranking amps) you can - the 720A on yours is probably the CCA. The Ah (which used to be battery measure of choice) is less of an issue these days. Sure they would put it in the boot for you, then you could co-opt a handy neighbour to change it over?
Richard W
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

http://Www.carbatteriesonline.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - used them a few times, always next day delivery, always way cheaper than Halfords or Local Factors.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Cheers guys. I've now got the car started after charging for an hour or so with the little charger. I've got it out on the street which is on a slight slope and the drive is now clear for SWIMBO to get her car out of the garage. It's no longer an emergency so I will have a bit of time to find a replacement, (for the battery, not SWIMBO)
We have a local Halfords where the cheapest with a 3 year warranty is £86, next at £96 has a 4 year warranty, and the 5 year one is £116. There's also a stop/start one for £150. The two cheaper ones are 640A and the £116 one is 760A 80 ah.
I don't think the other local motor factors do batteries, at least they don't have them on the website. If the back improves, I might have a look down tomorrow.
For no real reason, other than heresay, I'm reluctant to let the kids at Halfords loose on my car.

The neighbours are not an option Richard, even with my dodgy back, I'm probably the fittest in the street. My son is offshore at the moment so no help there. I will have a look at the online prices and specs, and maybe the back will improve by the time I get a new battery.
I'll have a look at the site you linked to Mike. Cheers
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I can say that the economy mode is one of the modern mysteries in Citroens these days ... :D ... mine sometimes holds for 40 minutes (just the radio playing) ... wouldn't believe it if I didn't actually measure the time myself ... and that with only a 3 minute drive, from half a day of idling ... then, when I drive it for 2 hours, and return to the car in 10 minutes, the moment I turn the ignition on, I'm welcomed by the "Economy mode active" message ... however, it starts with no problems, and the battery was tested several times, it almost like new ... when I was searching online for the different battery manufacturers, I've somehow stumbled on this online shop: http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... the 74ah (or 77 ah) isn't enough for the 2.2 HDI (it is for mine), it has to be 80 ah?
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I've never had the economy mode work as Citroen specify.
I put the battery spec into some websites and got a wide range of possible. Apart from the physical size, The cold crank amps seem to be the most important, but the Ah and CCA seem to increase relative to each other. Unfortunately, the price does the same.

As you can tell, I know bugger all about batteries.
Rick.

SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Northern_Mike wrote:http://Www.carbatteriesonline.co.uk - used them a few times, always next day delivery, always way cheaper than Halfords or Local Factors.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
I'll second this firm. I ordered a battery off them and it was out of stock, they gave me a free upgrade to a better battery FOC and it arrived next day as well! Great customer service (no i'm not affiliated to them in any way) :lol:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Well I've had a good look online, and it seems that the C5 2.2 battery is difficult to find. The recommended site had most of them as "unavailable". Plenty sites with cheaper batteries where 70Ah 620 CCA was deemed suitable and many others with up to 74Ah.
The higher Ah batteries are all expensive for online purchases.
I'm not at all happy with the spec of these batteries.
I tried a local motor factor today and have been offered a 80Ah 760 CCA battery, as recommended in his book for the C52.2. I can order it on Monday and they will fit it on Wednesday (Bad back remember!) Premium battery with a 5 year guarantee fitted for £100. I think I will go for it, as there is some very confusing info online.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Try using this: http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/search-batteries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... I'm guessing 74-77 ah should be more than enough for your car as well ...
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Can't get a price from that site, but the recommended battery is 77Ah and other sources are quoting £92. As I'm offered a slightly higher powered one fitted for £100 I'm not sure it's worth it for a saving of £8.
On another note, my brother has just phoned, and he owns an engineering firm in Aberdeen, and has told me to get a couple of quotes from his suppliers and put it through his company so I might try that on Monday.
Rick.

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Citroen list 6 different battery types for a 2.2 HDI, price is £188 for 70AH 760CCA one!
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Stempy wrote:Citroen list 6 different battery types for a 2.2 HDI, price is £188 for 70AH 760CCA one!
:shock: :shock: :shock: That's a brutal price for a 70Ah battery. Always surprising how many different batteries are the "recommended" replacement.
Surely the Amp hours and Cold Crank amps would be the same as the OEM?
Rick.

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The batteries listed are all different ratings, I suppose depending on equipment level, stop/start engine etc. I find Citoen dealer prices are generally quite brutal!
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes, they are indeed. I suppose having full electric/ heated/ memory /massage seats , comfort entry exit, DRL etc means a higher C C amperage is recommended. Gets a bit nippy up here in wintertime (and summer sometimes) so I guess it's common sense.
Rick.

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I would expect all "recommended" batteries to function OK in your car to start with, but the higher CCA batteries should last longer before needing to be replaced. Apart from the battery spec & price, how long you intend keeping the car might also influence your decision as to what to buy.

Fortunately batteries last a lot longer than they did "in the old days". Back in the '60s & 70s, a 4 year battery life was good going. IRCC, manufacturers have found ways to reduce the amount of antimony in batteries, which has contributed (probably with other things) to a longer battery life - just as well with the prices they're asking.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )