window rubber

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

window rubber

Post by froggy »

Hi, my series1 Xantia, where the rear window rubber seals itself to the boot ( around the rear wiper ) the rubber has lifted off the boot and appears to have shrunk ( if that"s possible) and is letting in the rain ! is it still possible to source a new rear window rubber ? many thanks in advance Terry. [-o<
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: window rubber

Post by Mandrake »

Is yours a hatch or an estate ?

On mine (a hatch) the rubber around the rear window shrinks and twists in cold weather on the bottom edge of the glass on both sides so that its loose and floppy with a gap you can put your finger into, but the window does NOT leak. (Not that I can notice anyway - after hours of heavy rain I can open the boot and everything is dry) Many other people reported the same thing - twisted floppy rubber outer "seal" in cold weather but no leak.

When I've asked about it on the forum before (sorry can't remember which thread) I was told that the outer rubber is not the water tight seal and that its largely decorative, the water tight seal is actually the bond between the glass and the door where the glass is glued in.

From what I remember I was told that its also a big window-out job to replace the outer rubber anyway. I would strip off the inner lining from the door and try to find where the bond between the glass and the door frame has failed. Perhaps the door was slammed shut with something jammed in one side which may have twisted the frame enough to break the glue bond somewhere around the edge ? (just a thought)

It could also be leaking at the large rubbers around the edge of the door where the door closes - are you certain the leak is at the glass or have you just assumed that based on the visible gap on the outside rubber along the glass ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive