zx heater problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy pandy
My Cars:

zx heater problems

Post by andy pandy »

when do you know if the matrix is goosed? ive just bought a 1.9D zx estate 1994 for £400 [:D]
ok it needs some work doin CVs for one but the most frustrating thing is the heater not working, the fan works well but no heat is coming out, is it a bleeding problem or is it the dreaded matrix at fault and if so what is the usuall cost for replacement I do know its a big job dash out and all.
Also have I the only ZX 1.9D with no power steering? and if so could it be a collectors item [?][?]
<i>Topic moved by Jon </i>
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Check your coolant levels and have a go at bleeding the system.
Air trapped in the heater is one of the most common causes of it not working properly.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Collectors item eh? You could identify anyone who collects them by their huge forearms and biceps :)
Heater - any water loss into the car?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hell that thing must be a regular nightmare with no power steering, or your name is popeye[:D]
Start up from cold. leave the heater fan off and feel matrix feed pipe where it comes out of the cylinder head, as it begins to warm up at that point check the pipe into and out of the matrix at the bulkhead, if the pipe begins to warm up at those three places together within a short period, then there is a good flow through the matrix and the fault may be with the air flaps or their control cables.
If the pipe heats up much more near the head and travels slowly towards the matrix, then the there would seem to be a restriction.
Very common for people to turf a load of radweld into the cooling system to disguise defects, the matrix doesn't take kindly to such treatment and is easily blocked, it can also become blocked from coolant neglect, then it will furr up with rust and scale.
If it looks like there is a blockage, disconnect the pipe at the head and at the water housing at the rear of the block and run a hose through it.
Dave
andy pandy
My Cars:

Post by andy pandy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arry_b</i>

Collectors item eh? You could identify anyone who collects them by their huge forearms and biceps :)
Heater - any water loss into the car?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
no water loss as far as I can tell
andy pandy
My Cars:

Post by andy pandy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Burns</i>

Hell that thing must be a regular nightmare with no power steering, or your name is popeye[:D]
Start up from cold. leave the heater fan off and feel matrix feed pipe where it comes out of the cylinder head, as it begins to warm up at that point check the pipe into and out of the matrix at the bulkhead, if the pipe begins to warm up at those three places together within a short period, then there is a good flow through the matrix and the fault may be with the air flaps or their control cables.
If the pipe heats up much more near the head and travels slowly towards the matrix, then the there would seem to be a restriction.
Very common for people to turf a load of radweld into the cooling system to disguise defects, the matrix doesn't take kindly to such treatment and is easily blocked, it can also become blocked from coolant neglect, then it will furr up with rust and scale.
If it looks like there is a blockage, disconnect the pipe at the head and at the water housing at the rear of the block and run a hose through it.
Dave
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">you have got me thinking when I looked in the expansion bottle there did seem to be some sort of scum floting on the top when you take the scum out and let it dry it forms a light brown powder could this be radweld? or could it be mi spinnich[:)]
Dunc55

Post by Dunc55 »

Does it ever get a little bit warm - when you cane the car ? If so then change the thermostat !
andy pandy
My Cars:

Post by andy pandy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Burns</i>

Dave
well ive had it checked out by mi local back street under the arches garage and yes the dreaded matrix is full of radweld[:(] it has set like concrete and buggered it up completely so its off with the dash and on with the new matrix the garage cando the job for about £140.00 is that a good price[?]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Bad luck Andy Pandy, why not get that fancy striped boiler suit dirty and do it thee sen, you never know, Looby Loo and Teddy might even chuck in[:D]
Does that price include the matrix, if so its not to bad I suppose but then again its not difficult work really.
Give the rad a good coat of looking at too, if that goes daft your head's at risk.
Dave
andy pandy
My Cars:

Post by andy pandy »

Bad luck Andy Pandy, why not get that fancy striped boiler suit dirty and do it thee sen, you never know, Looby Loo and Teddy might even chuck in[:D]
Does that price include the matrix, if so its not to bad I suppose but then again its not difficult work really.
Give the rad a good coat of looking at too, if that goes daft your head's at risk.
Dave
thanks for that but teddy is Crap at car electics cant grip wires with them paws[;)] Yes it includes the matix you sound like your from my part of the world tha nows, al sithi soon. (I live in Bolton) oh bye the way the matrix was goosed the alli pipes had worn/corroded and the thing was full of radweld, how often should you change the water/coolent and is there anything you can add to the coolent to help the matrix to live a longer life[?]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hehe no me owd am not from thy neck o'th woods, non far off though, Derbyshire peak disrict.
Change coolant at two years, use citroen antigel antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor at 50% all year round and you shouldn't have any problems.
Dave
andy pandy
My Cars:

Post by andy pandy »

I would like to thank everyone who has posted hints and tips, mi ZX is now back from the garage and in fine fettle even full dashboard lights special thanks to Dave Burns (if you see a blue zx estate coming through the peak disrict with popeye at the wheel itll be mi sen)[;)]. hopefully I will be able to do a good few miles before I need any advise again.
Andy.