2010 Citroen c5 estate will not start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John willem walesby

2010 Citroen c5 estate will not start

Post by John willem walesby »

last ran normally 3 days ago. Did have occasional economy mode come on at start up but car ran fine. Tried to start it on Friday, engine turned over a few times as normal but did not fire up. Normal procedures, tried a couple more times then remote locked car, unlocked and tried again. On last attempt, economy mode displayed straight away and starter would not turn over. recharged battery off the car (also had battery test done by garage - ok). Followed instructions in forums to fit battery back, fit and leave for 10 mins, side lights for 10, ignition on for five (remembering to press lock button to resync key), result is car does not turn over. I have checked and cleaned all fuses under bonnet etc.

when key is turned I get dash display for 8 seconds, economy mode display on Speedo, energy mode active displayed on Sat nav, heater display no lights, no wipers, indicators (hazards work). battery is at 12.36 volts with ignition on but drops to 12.06 volts when key turned. Have tried to bump start in second gear and nothing.

I hope that the battery is at fault and will buy one tomorrow but will be wasting money if it is an ecu or similar fault. has anybody got any ideas where the fault may lie?

John :cry:
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: 2010 Citroen c5 estate will not start

Post by VertVega »

How many miles on the clock?
Petrol or diesel?

Fuel pump OK? Fuel pump fuse OK?
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome John, in at last :) :welc:

Is there a known good battery that you could try?
Also check the battery connections as these are a common fault, then connections to alternator, starter and earth connections.

There have been several similar threads recently and also some where there is a battery drain depleting the battery and causing a failure to start.

Also check this thread, may be useful.

I bought a new battery two years ago that was not necessary, problem was a drain somewhere. Never did find it as the car passed on due to other causes.

Have you any chance of putting the battery on a trickle charger for 24 hours - or more if possible?
John willem walesby

thanks for the welcome! I used an RAC charger that quick charges (8 amps) then float charges. Battery on for 7 hours. I have checked and cleaned terminals but due to the bad weather I have not got inside the bonnet yet! Thing that worries me most it that the symptoms get worse as it goes on, starter turned now nothing not even a click.

the car is diesel and has done 50000 miles. it used to do 250 miles each weekend but now it only does about 6 miles a day (in the dark with lights, heater and stereo) so I suspect the battery. I normally buy Renault Laguna but now these are no longer available I have moved to Citroen. nice car but has same random electrical faults as Renault, must be a French thing!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think it more likely that you have a 12v feed failure somewhere, to check the battery connect your voltmeter and check what it reads when you try to engage the starter, if it goes down to nearly nothing your battery is u/s if it stays at more or less 12v you have a feed fault, check the terminals and earth lead connection.

Peter
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

The economy mode coming up is I think nothing at all as this is what has been chosen from the menu on the computer,it switches off the radio after 10 mins when the ignition is turned of and things like that which could drain the battery,it should come up every time you start the car then go out,I hope somebody you or somebody finds out what has happened
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
John willem walesby

Thank you all so far. it looks like I will have to start moving, cleaning and testing leads under the bonnet. I suspect that it is power related but don't want to look foolish if it is ecu or a fuse!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

zipdip wrote:The economy mode coming up is I think nothing at all as this is what has been chosen from the menu on the computer,it switches off the radio after 10 mins when the ignition is turned of and things like that which could drain the battery,it should come up every time you start the car then go out,I hope somebody you or somebody finds out what has happened
In theory,on the X7, the Economy Mode actually gives you the same amount of time on full electrics, as the car engine has been running, up to a maximum of 30 minutes. If the engine has been running for 21 minutes, you should get 21 minutes before Economy mode kicks in. If it has been running for 31 minutes, you get 30 minutes. This is assuming the battery if in good condition and charged.
Whilst not being directly involved in the car not starting, it could be indicative of a failing battery. My economy mode kicks in as soon as I stop the car mostly. A few times, I get 5 minutes or so, but there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. The car still starts no problem, even in the coldest weather recently.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
John willem walesby

:-D Thank you all for your useful advice. car now running and hopefully fixed. Will run it to work tomorrow. in the end charged the battery on trickle for 24 hours. Took out the main fuse holder from engine compartment. removed all fuses and tested them. The 20 amp for the ECU was corroded (furred up) and I cleaned the holder and replaced the fuse. connected car, left it for 10 mins, put key in steering lock, held lock button for 15 seconds with ignition on, took key from lock, locked and unlocked with plip and started first time.

I suspect fault might still be battery and combination of fuses. Will try it and probably buy new battery.

Thanks to all again for your help. John :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, based on that result I would get hold of some proper contact cleaner, a tooth brush, and some elbow grease. All it takes is a poor connection in the wrong place for a C series to have a conniption fit, as they are very electrically sensitive. Don't use WD40, it was designed as a water dispersant (hence the WD bit of its' name).

You can get the battery tested, and a reputable garage would give you a proper answer on the status of the battery (not saying you need a new one regardless of the status of your one).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
John willem walesby

thinking of Fospro on fuses but still think battery is culprit.If it is the fuse then the mighty C5 dies due to a pence worth of eqpt which is a shame as I totally rated the car for drive, comfort and looks.