AirBag Light + No Horn = Squib?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rawce

AirBag Light + No Horn = Squib?

Post by Rawce »

Hello,

My ageing '52 C5 110 Diesel continues to cost the earth (recon alternator after that self destructed), even though we do less than 4k per year in it. The airbag light has been on for over a year now, but I was always told by the garage that it's not an MOT failure. However, they warned me it will be a failure, or it's the horn which stopped working a couple of months ago, I can't remember.

The garage said that as both have gone, they may have a common failure point in the squib - that's where diagnostics are pointing towards. My understanding is that the squib is a mostly an ECU/wiring/contactors but basically a fancy way of connecting your steering wheel and it's myriad functions to your dash. The contactors can often get quite dirty and hopefully all they require is a good clean (hopefully I get to use my until now frivolous Dremel).

Anyway, I now have a garage to work in (and a Haynes to get frustrated with), I'm up for getting my hands dirty again like I used to before the car was parked on the street (I once got caught on CCTV using the work's car park at the weekend to change my sparks and HTs - it's not like I was changing the ruddy oil!) rather than get the garage to replace with a recon or new one for probably more than the car's worth (~£450).

So, I'm just checking with you knowledgeable types the following before I embark on my near Bilbo Baggins-like epic journey (a strange land where half hour jobs seem to take 4 hours and 5 times the swearing than absolutely necessary):
1. Both airbag light and horn not working point to the squib;
2. Whether I need to think about getting a recon squib as cleaning won't get me anywhere.

I've had a quick search on squibs in the forums but none seem to share the horn failure.

Cheers for any help, no matter what the outcome I'll pop back on here and share my observations for future reference.

Ross.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: AirBag Light + No Horn = Squib?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Where on earth did the word squib come from :) I assume you mean the Comm 2000 unit under the steering wheel, here are some pictures of it stripped down. There's nothing in there you can use a Dremel on. The most likely cause for the airbag light is a break in the flat cable (clockspring) but from experience they're too delicate to repair.
Your best bet is to get a used unit from the breakers but you'll need to be quite specific about the part as there are about nine variations according to the car spec.
[URL=http://s57.photobucket.com/user/fo ... .jpg[/img][/url]
[urlImage][/url]
[urlImage][/url]
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Rawce

Post by Rawce »

That looks about right, thanks Gibbo. Squib I think is a universal term for box of tricks on the steering wheel. The Dremel would only have been used to buff up the copper/gold contacts as I hear these can glaze up with age. I'm guessing I'll have to open it up to see which HAL9000 unit it actually is?
Rawce

Post by Rawce »

Also, are the flat cables typically available from a dealers?
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Typically called the Comms 2000/clockspring. Never heard it called a squib, is it damp? :mrgreen:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Squib
A squib is a muggle (non-magical person) born to wizard .....there, you learn new everyday :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

They were 4d in Woolworths when I remember them.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Fireworks at the lower end of the explosive range when we were kids, hence the saying 'damp squib' for something that only half worked. :)

You can't buy parts for that Comm 2000 and you need a bit of skill and a lot of patience to strip and re-assemble them, a lot of fiddly parts to juggle into place.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Deffo sounds like a com2000 failure. I have always know the squib to be the explosive part of the airbag itself.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Airbag light is now an MOT fail.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Rawce

Post by Rawce »

Yep, just looked up squib and it's the airbag initiator - http://www.airbagcenter.com/airbag_terminology.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As the horn's duff too, general consensus seems to be the Comms 2000 unit. I'll have a go at stripping it tomorrow to see if the contacts are in need of a clean. If that doesn't work then I guess it's a recon job.

Cheers for everyone's help, I'll let you know how I get on.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Off topic I know.....but is there a regulation that says your horn MUST be on the steering wheel ?? could a button/stalk be added to activate the horn and would this circumvent the MoT ?

I have added one like this on a classic as well as added one for dim/dip
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:Off topic I know.....but is there a regulation that says your horn MUST be on the steering wheel ??
No.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Rawce

Post by Rawce »

Air horn in a can taped to the drivers mirror it is then. Or just strap Brian Blessed to my bonnet?
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Air bag light on is an MOT fail but would pass if bulb removed.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.