Car Starts but does not move gear switches to 2nd

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Moe

Car Starts but does not move gear switches to 2nd

Post by Moe »

Citroen C3 1.4 HDI Sensodrive (54 Reg)

Dear All

I wish you all your a Happy and Exciting New Year.

I am having trouble with my car. The car starts but I get the - minus sign and Auto flashing on my dashboard. The car will not go into 1st gear sometimes, it skips to 2nd gear and will not move when I accerate. When it moves it moves a little like the hand brake is on.

Also the Auto switch light on the gearbox does not come on when car is started but the switch light comes on when igition is off.

When car moves I sometimes hear a huge thud like there is something stuck under the car.

Please could someone let me know to reset the gearbox so I can get my car to a workshop for repairs.

Moe
Moe

Re: Car Starts but does not move gear switches to 2nd

Post by Moe »

Dear All

Happy New Year Soon, Wish you the best.

Anyone has any ideas about the snowflake and car not moving problem?

Anyone had any similar problem?

Moe
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Hello Moe Happy New Year to you as well. Thanks.
Is this car still under warranty?
I have heard some real horror stories about Sonsodrive and it can be a nightmare to fix. I am not familiar with it, just what I read. Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows this box. It really needs checking with a Lexia to start with.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

Hi Moe, have you attempted to carry out a basic re-boot of the car's electrics/ecu's/bsi etc? Doing this can basically reset the car's system back to default, it does NOT however fix it & will still need to goto a dealer.
To carry out the basic reboot - (open the bonnet) switch the ignition on (don't start it) for a moment & then switch it off, wait for the bsi to shut down (amber dash lights go off) & then disconnect the battery positive lead for at least 10 mins, DO NOT open any doors/boot etc (basically leave the car well alone) during this period, then reconnect the battery, give the car a few moments to 'sort it's head' out :roll: Switch the ignition on & try it. This basic re-boot can work for a number of irregular electrical issues & it's something you can do at home before contacting a garage but it is not a cure. If your lucky this might work but as 'demag' said these sensodrive gearboxes can be a mare when they go wrong. If it does need towing to a dealer then you'll need either a tow truck with a 'beaver tail' or a breakdown guy who has 'dollies' to put under the front wheels so it can be pulled up onto the back of a recovery vehicle.

As these gearboxes are basically 'computer controlled' the first thing i'd do (IF I still worked for citroen :roll: ) to try & fix the issue carry out a gearbox ecu software download, chances are it's not had one for quite some time if at all (i'd recommend you take all keys & transponder card to the dealership too) & as there's no actual parts involved it's the cheapest option, however a full initial diagnostic check using a Lexia is a must first off, the tech' should read the fault codes & note the 'software' version (which should be available as a 'before & after' printout of software versions IF you request it) before carrying out any work but if the software version is old (quite likely) then to be honest unless there's an obvious fault such as a 'valve block' issue (bit rusty on valve blocks, not sure whats fitted to what gearbox #-o ) then i'd opt for the software download.
Music keeps me going.
Moe

Post by Moe »

quintet wrote:
As these gearboxes are basically 'computer controlled' the first thing i'd do (IF I still worked for citroen :roll: ) to try & fix the issue carry out a gearbox ecu software download, chances are it's not had one for quite some time if at all (i'd recommend you take all keys & transponder card

to the dealership too) & as there's no actual parts involved it's the cheapest option, however a full initial diagnostic check using a Lexia is a must first off, the tech' should read the fault codes & note the 'software' version (which should be available as a 'before & after' printout of software versions IF you request it) before carrying out any work but if the software version is old (quite likely) then to be honest unless there's an obvious fault such as a 'valve block' issue (bit rusty on valve blocks, not sure whats fitted to what gearbox #-o ) then i'd opt for the software download.
What is a transponder card?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When you got the car, you should have received a card (same size as a credit card) that has a scratch-off panel. Under the scratch-off panel is a 4 digit code. This is the security code, to protect the ECUs from unauthorised configuration changes (such as key changes). When the mechanic needs to go into these menus he will be prompted for the security code. This card is the transponder card.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!