Flooded C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oliver

Flooded C5

Post by Oliver »

Hi

New member seeking lot of help.
Forum recommended by someone who was a lurker in past and said advice was good.

Drive a 55 plate C5 2.0 HDI Auto Estate.

On Christmas Eve drove through a flood and stalled it :( with water inside the car.
Thanks to the kindness of strangers I got close to home and AA eventually did the rest.

Now the bad news....
On way home I ended up putting car from neutral into park when guy towing stopped quickly, (force of habit :( )
car now stuck in park and nothing will move hence AA on low loader for last mile home.
Battery flat as used lights to stay safe in middle of street. Believe electrics started bearing impact of water and refused
all commands but neighbour kindly helped to get window closed but electrics have life of own at moment.

Not mechanically minded.

Looking for advice and options about whether car is recoverable and what would need doing to get roadworthy again.

Don't want to go down the route of a fools errand if reality is cost of getting roadworthy again is not viable.

Thanks
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Flooded C5

Post by wheeler »

It doesent sound good, forgetting about the gearbox just now the engine has likley sucked in water & hydraulic locked the engine, not good. If there was water inside the car then its probably in various ecus aswell. Probably a major gearbox repair now too.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

problem is u could have alot of future problems with electrics....engine....if ur going to get the car right again ur gona need alot of help and guideance...have u no mechanically minded friends near by that could have a look for u? if water inside the car that would be my first thing to dry it out...ur gona need new fuses and some wd40...once ur happy inside dry and all fuses good then u need to check the engine...it may have sucked up water....u might be lucky or unlucky but ur gona need some one mechanically minded...gearbox could also be new or repaired(Possibly)
im sure there will be plenty more help here soon :)
u need battery disconected really cause water is one big conducter and u need to know everything is dry first
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Does your insurance cover flood damage? That's the best way to deal with it. They wrote a friend's Activa off years ago in the floods and it had a lot less problems than yours seems to have. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if it were me, I'd be onto my insurance - I know mine covers me for that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Strange how my "Speechless" thread has been moved.
This kind of proves the point. Speechless.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

I'm with Mike on this one, it looks like the scrapyard :cry:.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The gear lever has an electric interlock that stops it being moved from park in unsafe conditions, so the gear selector problem is probably also electrical. There is a mechanical release pin under the console near the gear lever (so you can push the car around).
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the engine will turn over it probably hasn't got water in it so its worth charging the battery and giving it a go, if it won't turn the damage has already been done, you won't make it any worse and a replacement engine will be needed anyway. If it goes then just make sure it gets thoroughly dried out. It could well have damaged the electrics and all the while its damp will do strange things but its worth a go.

Peter
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

xantia_v6 wrote:The gear lever has an electric interlock that stops it being moved from park in unsafe conditions, so the gear selector problem is probably also electrical. There is a mechanical release pin under the console near the gear lever (so you can push the car around).
Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

Spoke to a mechanic / recovery guy round the corner who will bring it to his workshop and have a look on basis that might to lucky......he was reasonably hopeful.
He spent 16 hrs out during the storms pulling cars out of water and said may take a month or two to sort.

Mentioned mechanical release pin and he not aware of it but said similar on Renaults and wanted to know exactly where it was so we can move it. Photo if got it would help.

Thanks again.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Oliver wrote:On Christmas Eve drove through a flood and stalled it with water inside the car.

Now the bad news....
On way home I ended up putting car from neutral into park when guy towing stopped quickly

Not mechanically minded.
You don't say!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Photo if got it
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Clogzz wrote:
Photo if got it
=D> =D>

Thank you as it worked and able to move car.

Still long way to go but its a start :)
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

well done guys!
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive