ZX D Tyre life

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arry_b

ZX D Tyre life

Post by arry_b »

How long does "the group" get out of front tyres on ZX Diesels?
I've used 2/3 of the tread on my front tyres on my 1.9 in 15K (Vredestein T-Trac 13 inch standard profile for the car). They're wearing uniformly with no feathering or edge wear and I'm fairly good at checking the pressures regularly. No wheelspins for me either!
Is it just these tyres or are the ZX D's heavy on front tyres.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

We bought our ZX 1.9 D last year with what looked like a genuine 53500 miles on it and the front tyres were worn out and needed immediate replacement. They were a cheap make and I think that they must havebeen the second set on the car. I find it hard to believe that the car is heavy on tyres as it seems to corner without scrubbing and the acceleration isn't in the wheel spinning class but those tyres had been replaced and so it looks as though it had gone through its original michelins.
Incidentally the back ones were a matching cheap one and a michelin that looked like the original which I have just had to replace after a puncture and aq recommendation from the MOT tester that the wall was scuffed and perished.
If your car is on 13 inch rims I'm surprised as ours is on 14's and i thought 13's were on 1.4's only.
Jeremy
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

This is where Michelins seem to score well - I haven't come across a tyre that lasts so well. I think they can work out cheaper in the long run and still grip well in the wet. Don't know what the current code is but last one's I bought were MXT i think - so long ago....
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

What about braking, if you are a late braker that will rub the tread away just as much as hard acceleration.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

True Dave but the setup on the D rather than the TD doesn't encourage heavy braking as the brakes seem to lack that certain bite that for example a BX has.
hard cornering will affect tyre life as well and I suppose its behaviour does encourage fast cornering.
jeremy
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I did my formative driving years in cars with front drum brakes so I leave plenty of room between me and the next car and brake for junctions in plenty of time to slow down gently without panic braking. So I don't think braking responsible.
I'd guess I'll have to change the fronts at 22K - is this normal?
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

My last Saxo did 27,000 miles on it's front tyres before they needed changing. Not bad considering the amount of abuse they used to get.[}:)]
Those were the standard Michelins Pilot SX GT fitted to the car. I'd had it lowered as well, and the tracking did'nt get adjusted!! And they were still legal tyres when I changed them.
The front pads were even more amazing, like the gent before I'd always break early and leave a nice big margin of safety (much to somes' disgust!). When I thaught the pads needed changing at 34,000miles they still had half the meat left on them.[:0] Not bad really.
When ZX discs can warp at 15,000miles for no reason..the Saxo came up trumps.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I run Michelin XT1 Energy all round on my ZX, 27,000 miles on the fronts and still only 50% worn.
Cheap tyres are often a false economy.
Paradoxically, we have the same tyres on the Berlingo, and at just over 19,000 miles the NS front is only just legal. Tracking etc is OK. Others with Berlingo's have also reported the same problem.
ZX's are usually good on tyre wear though provided the track rod ends and front arm bushes are in good order.