thinking of a new car

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oneday
My Cars:

thinking of a new car

Post by oneday »

hi all im thinking of buying a x7 3 2.0hdi 160 bhp saloon before i do this can anyone tell me the towing weights allowed. and is there anything to watch out for when buying secondhand.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: thinking of a new car

Post by qprdude »

750Kg unbraked
1740Kg, braked.

Weights for the saloon, and the various specs seem to be the same.

Buying advice? Much depends again on the spec. If it's an exclusive with 19" rims, make sure the tyres are good coz cheap they ain't.
Tyre pressure sensors can be expensive if they fail, so get a warranty that covers them (check to see if the valves are pitted)
As always, decent service history would be good.
Many owners have reported little niggles, but mostly on up to 5 year old cars with 160,000 miles or so on the clock. You get what you pay for basically. If the engine has done 160,000, so has the suspension, the steering the bodywork etc, and at the risk of being shot down in flames, if you buy a high miler and expect no problems, you may be disappointed.
I have the 2.2l exclusive 173 and in 18 months, I have had the air-con re-gassed and the tyre sensors replaced FOC by Citroen. That's it.(I had it serviced to comply with the warranty)
If your budget runs to a lower mileage exclusive, you probably won't regret it. I am still deeply and passionately in love with my X7 and doubt if I would willingly swop it for anything similar on the market.
Last edited by qprdude on 17 Dec 2013, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

thanks for the info towing weights alot higher than the mk1 thats good looking for a low milage one soit will last me budget is up to 18 grand possibly more for a realy good one not seen an exclusive yet with sat nav for sale i want all the toys
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Don't buy one without sat nav. I know there are better systems but I think the orange display you get instead of the nav spoils the look.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

mooseshaver wrote:Don't buy one without sat nav. I know there are better systems but I think the orange display you get instead of the nav spoils the look.
Agree. Hydractive 3+ on the Exclusive is vital for me too. (plus all the extra boy's toy's)
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Or you could install all (or most) of the extra toys after the purchase ... like me ... :D ... feasible, NO ... possible, YES ...
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Hard to find the sat nav and screen. And dash trim
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

@ moose - Would you believe me that it is more than possible? Down to the last screw, new, ordered by part number from the Citroen Service ... extremely expensive, but literally everything can be ordered ... as for the sat nav, there are "aftermarket" solutions as well (not Citroen factory made), ex. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-Vide ... 80205.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... note, I'm not doing a commercial here, just trying to make a point ...
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

nice to know but think i will buy one ready to go
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

vborovic wrote:@ moose - Would you believe me that it is more than possible? Down to the last screw, new, ordered by part number from the Citroen Service ... extremely expensive, but literally everything can be ordered ... as for the sat nav, there are "aftermarket" solutions as well (not Citroen factory made), ex. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-Vide ... 80205.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... note, I'm not doing a commercial here, just trying to make a point ...
I've looked at that before but it's not for right hand drive. And I don't know what I will lose not having the proper Citroen one
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

There are left and right hand side versions ... I'm not for such solutions myself, but apparently it is a modified system, which has a different navigation, and is basically a HTPC like solution ... but, like I've said, I'm just trying to prove you wrong when you stated "Hard to find the sat nav and screen. And dash trim" ... :) ... As for myself, I'm doing manufactured only modifications (additions) on my car ...

@ oneday - there are 2 different color screens available, that differ in quality, the lower is usually with the RNEG or RNEG+ system, the higher quality (resolution) screen goes with the Navidrive 3D ... FYI ...
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

how can you tell which one is fitted
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/peugeot ... s-psa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... the link has the different and available units listed ... visually it is hard to distinguish between RNEG (Myway, manufactured by Harman Becker) and RNEG+ (eMyWay, manufactured by Magneti Marelli), since it is the exact same box, but you can see the difference in the software (and the GUI) and in the latter option, there should be a AUX/USB connector already fitted in the handrest compartment
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Earliest X7's had Navi-drive rt4. Think Myway came to the C5 in 2009.
Rick.

oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

thanks for the info anything else i should know
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN