Spheres regased but...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Re: Spheres regased but...

Post by xantos »

I have bubbles in the tank for as long as I have this car (feb 2013). I didn't know anything about hydraulic cars, but now I'm slowly turning into an expert 8-)

Considering bubbles in the tank my thoughts are shouldn't there have been an avalanche of bubbles in the morning if there is a sphere that is leaking nitrogen? Bubbles should accumulate in the pipes and when the pressure pump starts working it should pump these bubbles into the tank. In my case this does not happen... I was thinking more and more that it must be the pipe connecting the pump and the tank, that is sucking air. I have changed the sucking pipe with a new "non-citroen" hydraulic pipe that is very rigid and maybe I don't have a snug fit. Will probably take some silicone and seal it at the connection to the tank and pump. Another thing that I might have overlooked is the "mysterious o-ring" on the top of the tank. Yesterday I put some LHM on top of it, and it looked to me that LHM is being sucked through. I also put some LHM at the connection suction pipe - tank and again it looked as it is sucking the LHM in. Also took the return pipe of and observed the flow of LHM. It was very smooth but from time to time the pipe just started to vibrate and just like there was air in it. So this made me conclude that it must be sucking air somewhere in the feed to the pump...

I was bleeding my brakes 3 times since I have this car, with no obvious bubbles... Even when I resealed the brake dosser valve. And the brakes are working with perfectly.

Today I also observed that there aren't any extra bubbles if I turn the wheel and push brakes.
Mandrake wrote:Ahh, now you've been bitten by the bug.
Yes I will get eaten alive!
Mandrake wrote:Accumulator spheres in particular don't re-gas as well as the others, possibly because they're subject to the highest pressure of any spheres on the car, all the time. Over the years I've had two accumulator spheres that we re-gassed ourselves fail within minutes of being fitted to the car and pressurised - they literally went "splat", with both the diaphragm and seal at the filler cap failing at the same time. If your accumulator sphere was also re-gassed and not replaced, it could be that it's bubbling nitrogen - which could explain the large quantity of bubbles you saw when you opened the bleed screw.
I have changed the accumulator sphere with a new one. It was the same when I had the ruptured one and opened the bleed screw. An avalanche of bubbles!
Mandrake wrote:It could be that one or more of your spheres have developed high nitrogen leakage rates through age, if this is the case re-gassing them will not cure the leakage rate problem - so potentially some of your re-gassed spheres whilst at their correct pressure (for now) could still be a cause of nitrogen bubbling into the suspension at an excessive rate. Only new replacements would eliminate that possibility.
How long does it take if a sphere is dying to release all of it's nitrogen? I would say weeks and when it's completely flat it doesn't have any nitrogen so no bubbles...

I'm starting to see 100 pages of this topic and my self in the nut-house! :taz:
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Spheres regased but...

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Welcome to the Home for the Citroenly Insane! Plenty of room for more.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!