C5 window regulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevec5

Re: C5 window regulator

Post by stevec5 »

I compared the outer sheath and the length is identical to the original ?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

@ steve - Like I said, this is the most out of the service box, which the Citroen Service uses ... I know that they have additional detailed procedures for some crucial parts, and the mechanics receive trainings in different sections ... so not everything is written (and available), maybe the door cables are among them ...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I think that Citroen replace the whole window mechanism in one go. The complete units are available on eBay for under £200. Not surprising most people opt for only replacing the cables and plastic bits !!
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

That's what they call a modular design ... they replace modules ... :D
stevec5

Post by stevec5 »

Ok - i've had another go assembling the regulator and have exhausted all the possible ways these cables/wires could be wound and there aren't that many. The only workable method is with the wires and springs tight; I tried one loop less on the spool and the cable guides are flapping about and there is no tension at all in the assembly! I can only assume and I am hoping when I trial run it off the car any slack if there is any will move around the cables and spool and give some play in the springs. I'll post back the outcome
nevdixon
My Cars:

Post by nevdixon »

As I said - I had exactly the same issue - everything was the same as the originals but too tight when put together - I stripped 1/2" to 3/4" from the outer sheath on the bottom left cable and it worked perfectly and has done for 4 months.

Nev
2008 C5 VTR+ Nav
stevec5

Post by stevec5 »

I can see why you would be tempted to cut the sheath back to gain a bit of slack, but if the new cables are the same length as the originals then I'd prefer to get it all back together as close to the original as possible - I did try and run it off the car but this didn't create any slack at the springs - but everything ran ok so I plied it with waterproof grease and fitted it to the car; attached the glass and ran it up and down. When the window reached the top it automatically drove back down to the mid position and stayed there; with a bit of searching on the web, I found out it was the "anti-pinch memory" designed to stop you trapping your head! in the glass :cry: . To re-program this I needed to press the down button, but only the first switch position, then when the window is fully down - hold the switch position for 10 secs then repeat the same in the up direction. It took several attempts until it worked (it's a bit fiddly holding the first position on the switch). With the window fully functional I watched the springs and when the window drives to its fully up position quite a bit of movement/slack is transferred to the bottom spring so "alls good"! Let's hope with all this grease it lasts longer than 3 years this time - I think I'll do the passenger door in the summer - don't want it breaking when I drive to France!!
If I can help anyone else; I have some pictures of the regulator with the new cables attached :-D :-D :-D
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

Believe me there is no way you can get it back together without trimming back the outer sheath, I tried for 2 days without success.
I have done both fronts and provided help, advice and pics to many others on here.
When they are built they must put them under lots of tension.
After I did the first one I predicted that every one would snap due to the materials used and design. Its mild steel and gets wet regularly.
Not a Citroen owner any more but hope you don't mind me visiting occasionally.

Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
Previous Citroens:-
05 C5 Facelift VTR 2.0Hdi
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
stevec5

Post by stevec5 »

Not quite sure what your trying to say?? I have assembled it without hacking bits off - and this is how I did it:- What you need to do is once you have coiled the cables around the centre drive spool; use a fat round shafted screwdriver or similar so as not to damage the spool and push the screwdriver through the hole in which the end of the motor shaft is finally located - Now just start the end of the driver in the centre of the drive spool; it is possible to avoid damage to the splines because they stop around half way and then lever the drive spool into position. I found if you rest the spool on a block of wood and push downwards at the same time it helps to pop it in - now it is quite easy to mesh the motor gear and locate onto the three fastening location points. The springs will look tight but once working on the car they will do there job. If the cable sheaths were meant to be shorter they would come like that, all you are doing by cutting bits off is introducing less tension into the mechanism which could cause the cables to jump off their grooves on the spool if the anti-pinch mechanism looses its marbles and drives hard into the bottom stops.
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

I have also done this job on my C5 and I didn't have to cut down the cable sheaths. The only 'trick' seems to assemble the bits in the following order. 1) Fit cables to drum. 2) Fit cable guides into the steel mounting plate. 3) Finally refit the drum to the motor shaft. If the drum is fitted first the cable will be too tight to get the extra free play needed to fit the cable guides onto the mounting plate. If you do it in the right order the whole re-assembly process takes only a couple of minutes.
whatdoesthisbuttondo

Post by whatdoesthisbuttondo »

I did the same in the spring this year. the cables were banjo tight.
It didnt help me that the kit I bought came with the wrong spool (Im assuming they are 'handed' for near and offside windows) so I had to get another.
Unfortunately it has just done the same bl**dy thing this morning!! so I will have to do it again this weekend!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Are you guys all talking about X7 cars?
Wish everyone would put what car they are talking about, so that the rest of us can see if the information/fault is of any relevance.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

stevec5 wrote:Hi, I have a 2010 C5 estate with a broken window regulator wire! ...
@ qpr - I'm guessing it's all about the X7s
stevec5

Post by stevec5 »

whatdoesthisbuttondo -- yes they are handed - not sure about cables (length) but the spool and cable guide clips/blocks definitely are. reading some posts on other forums; any water getting past the window seal on its travels to the drain holes at the bottom of the door run down the steel guide and over the bottom guide wheel and causing this short bottom cable to rust quite badly. The other 2 cables seem to be unaffected - hopefully plenty of waterproof grease is the answer!
Jocm1
My Cars: C5 MkIi C5 Mkl C4 Grand Picasso

Post by Jocm1 »

Hi folks first posting - I've just replaces the cables on my 2008 c5 drivers door short cable was knackere after many hours or wrestling with the cables iv got it back in and it is going up and down but in the opposite direction to normal when I pull the switch up it goes down in short bursts and the same in the opposite diction also when it gets to the top it sound like the glass is making contact with the door and suggestions would be helpful - have I put the cable on wrong is the plastic cable drum wrong handed? Also if I reverse the clips to have the fibre in lay to the inside will it provide more clearanc at the top position am totally fed up with it now any help would be much appreciated